Blue Devils Color Guard

In SoCal Dream, we have the weighted poles and yes, it makes a HUGE difference in the wind.  I've come to like the weighted poles so much that I'll be weighting the poles for the high school guard I work with (heh heh, 'cept they don't know it yet, lol  ^0^ )

~~ Happy

P.S.  Hi there, LisaLisa!

happy, i remember a few people not being so um,.....happy (sorry!) when i brought the weights in for the poles. but it certainly does make a difference, doesn't it? my opinion is i wouldn't want to spin without weights!

Ü

jan

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed alot of guards doing only "single" tosses lately...could this be because they are unweighted?

For field guard I like to use a heavy pole, they usually don't require weights, and if they do, top only.

For winterguard, I like lightweight aluminum. No need for weights if you put enough muscle into it. Plus, you don't have the wind factor.

BTW, has anyone ever spun wooden poles???? I used them for a field guard one year & they were so heavy the poor girls almost broke their arms! LOL I am a bit more muscular, and I liked them. They toss excellent, especially horizontal tosses.

Edited by aueagle71

However....if you don't put tape around the bolt, it will "clang" inside the pole.
Yeah, and it makes an interesting percussive element. I remember one of the open class, I can't remember which one, had that clank in a moment of silence in '89. Real impact.

• 4 weeks later...

First time spinner here using an unweighted pole. I practice outside a lot so I'll have to give this a try. I'm looking forward to going to Lowes now! I've got some friends coming over to practice with me tomorrow night and I think I'll get bolts for them too. b**bs

Is there ever a time when weighted flags are bad?

• 2 weeks later...
i prefer a weighted pole. y use more muscle than u have to when ur gonna need it for something else later. plus.. trying to get a double out as an ensemble with unweighted poles is quite ugly!

Not really....if you know how to teach it.

Before weighted poles became a factor, many guards, especially high schools did tosses & exchanges with unweighted poles. I have proof through many videos that single, double tosses as well as exchanges were not ugly at all....in fact many guards won knowing how to manipulate the equipment without the aid of weights.

Of course today, weighting your pole is almost second nature. B)