"New Audiences from Other Idioms"

The opening paragraph of the G7 proposal:

The purpose of the World Series of Drum Corps is to bring together the best Drum and Bugle Corps performers in the World several times each year to showcase a new concept in audience interactive, fast paced, musical entertainment. The Series will combine elements of a broad range of performance arts with traditional, competitive drum corps in a season long, outdoor points championship at the highest level. The World Series of Drum Corps events will create additional visibility and year long audience appeal to compliment the traditional Drum Corps schedule, bringing new excitement to traditional audiences while attracting new audiences from other idioms.

What do you think they're getting at here. "Other idioms" could mean sports, video games, or movies. Or combined with the mentions of "audience interactive" and "broad range of performance arts", maybe it's something else.

What are your guesses, hopes, or fears for what's going on here. Are they just going to market it more as a "world series" sports type event? Are they going to find some new way to entertain the audience between performances? Maybe battery face-offs with audience voting? I actually think that would be kind of cool.

Or are they going to let Hopkins put on the stage plays he's been yearning to do during the 15-minute Cadets preshow?

Maybe it's all just code for double-reeds. Contrabassoons FTW!

Perhaps something along the lines of inviting local drum lines or ensembles or guards to perform in some capacity during the show in order to reach out to those kids involved and possibly get them interested in drum corps if they are not already

There are no other idioms to attract other than the niches that it already touches: competitive marching band, winter guard and winter percussion.

There's not enough multidisciplinary talent (or time) for these groups to try to cross-pollinate with musical theater, chorus, ballet or anything else that's a remote branch on the "drum corps pastiche" tree.

Therefore, it'll be pretty much what Mike said: some percussion stuff, some small guard ensemble work, etc. Basically I&E warmed over and sold to everyone as "new and exciting".

If it were me . . .and I was going to go all out for this idea; I'd cut my "drum corps" members down to 100 (40B/30P/30G) and make the other 50 stage performers . . .actors, choral, ballet, whatever.

That might generate the kind of across-the-board "new" foot traffic they want, as you open the doors to a few different disciplines coming in the door.

As for now, it's just the same stuff we've all seen before in a shiny new wrapper we're all suppose to ooh and aah over.