Corps shows that are harmed/benefited from live vs. theater

I saw all of the shows in Allentown last weekend and all of those shown at the theater last night. A few stood out as benefiting more from either the live or broadcast version of themselves. I thought that I would always want to see the shows live but last night I saw something in almost every show that I had never seen before (I didn’t even know Peter Pan was back).

SCV and Cavaliers benefit GREATLY from the high camera of the theatrical broadcast. Pete Webber and Michael Gaines’ shows should have a camera as high as possible to see their works of art any year both I thought this year’s shows need it even more. The audience was much flatter in Allentown for both than the response they got from my theater’s audience. I’ll add Colts to this list but I wouldn’t put my finger on drill like the other two. I think their guard is a little distracting in their individual work, the big picture (when the camera man wasn’t focused on the blue guy) makes the show much more pleasing.

The theater was a detriment to Phantom Regiment. The multi-cam loses the journey they take across the field. The audience in my theater was snoozing between the tunnel entrance/exits (which was handled MUCH better in Atlanta’s webcast). That was not the case in Allentown. The audience seemed to get into the entire show live even if they didn’t know the whole spirit guide story. An honorable mention for an advantage to the live performance seems a bit silly since they are almost to the point of over-hype is the Madison Scouts. I know everyone says they got the most applause at their theater, bla bla. Personally, I was left kind of flat last night probably because of the chill bumps on top of chill bumps that I got at the Allentown performance. Like Phantom you can feel the audience’s energy in this show when you are there live.

Did you see other advantages/detriments?

I concur ... the shows all seem to have detail(s) that get picked up with multi-cam quick shots supplementing the high-cam big picture.

I was somewhat disappointed and surprised at camera teams production of Cavaliers; they missed many wide out shots of key transitions into key forms (e.g., the arrows pointing to rifle line, the undulating circles in Smile, closer climax, etc.) instead focusing on guard closeups. And the preshow was essentially mostly missed as camera stayed on Rondo talkfest. Also essentially ignored drumline and key pit feature in Smile. In general I think there has been tooooo much attention to dancers, prancers .. but that could be just my preference when watching shows.

I saw all of the shows in Allentown last weekend and all of those shown at the theater last night. A few stood out as benefiting more from either the live or broadcast version of themselves. I thought that I would always want to see the shows live but last night I saw something in almost every show that I had never seen before (I didn’t even know Peter Pan was back).

SCV and Cavaliers benefit GREATLY from the high camera of the theatrical broadcast. Pete Webber and Michael Gaines’ shows should have a camera as high as possible to see their works of art any year both I thought this year’s shows need it even more. The audience was much flatter in Allentown for both than the response they got from my theater’s audience. I’ll add Colts to this list but I wouldn’t put my finger on drill like the other two. I think their guard is a little distracting in their individual work, the big picture (when the camera man wasn’t focused on the blue guy) makes the show much more pleasing.

The theater was a detriment to Phantom Regiment. The multi-cam loses the journey they take across the field. The audience in my theater was snoozing between the tunnel entrance/exits (which was handled MUCH better in Atlanta’s webcast). That was not the case in Allentown. The audience seemed to get into the entire show live even if they didn’t know the whole spirit guide story. An honorable mention for an advantage to the live performance seems a bit silly since they are almost to the point of over-hype is the Madison Scouts. I know everyone says they got the most applause at their theater, bla bla. Personally, I was left kind of flat last night probably because of the chill bumps on top of chill bumps that I got at the Allentown performance. Like Phantom you can feel the audience’s energy in this show when you are there live.

Blue Devils benefit slightly in my opinion from the broadcast. The mirrors work better on a screen than they did live for me. I can't put my finger on why it feels better on video to me, but things just seem to appear and disappear on video.

Cadets benefitted immensely to me because it helped avert my eyes from Jeffrey and focussed my eyes and ears on the great parts of their show.

Phantom was harmed greatly because the opening and ending in the tunnel were lost. Also, the soloist being off in the corner does not have the same effect.

With everyone to a degree there is the lack of connection you get with a live audience. But, with the three I mentioned there was a skew from the baseline difference between live and memorex.

Boston was definately hurt " in the theatre " because Delucia, and Rondinaro didn't interview anyone from this Corps... neither Corps Director, nor performer(s). Both host barely said a word about the Corps.... and there was no replay after this Corps performance where the hosts were given the opportuniy to gush about this Corps highlight visual or musical move, as all the others were given..... Glassmen, Blue Stars, Madison, Blue Knights Phantom Regiment, all the Corps in Boston's grouping compeitively this year, had their Corps Directors interviewed before the national audiences to hype their Corps and show, as well as have replays shown after the performance where the hosts hyped the Corps in the replay. Boston had no PR at all last night. Noone from their Corps was interviewed. Not sure if this was Boston's own fault or DCI 's, but it was glaring... So " the theatre " did not help Boston at a all last night, imo.

Phantom's solist field positioning is too far away to be adequately heard by audiences this year. Theatre or no theatre Phantom starts out fine, and the ending is quite good, but the middle is mostly unmemorable, imo......Madison Scouts, by far ,got the best applause in the theatre I was at.... Boston, Crown, Cavies, Cadets were the others. Personally, I think Bluecoats had an off night for them, and will bounce back strong ether tonite or tomorrow nite...... BD got barely an applause. I felt the worst for SCV. I heard 3 people sitting together give SCV a golf clap, the rest in the theatre never moved, and we heard dissatisfied grumblings....The theatre is not live, but it's a hundred times better than watching live or on video via Fan Network, imo..... the theatre sound in our particular theatre was outstanding, imo.... and I thought the camera crew did their homework and knew what highlights to catch on camera during the performances too.

Edited by BRASSO

The theater was a detriment to Phantom Regiment. The multi-cam loses the journey they take across the field. The audience in my theater was snoozing between the tunnel entrance/exits (which was handled MUCH better in Atlanta’s webcast). That was not the case in Allentown. The audience seemed to get into the entire show live even if they didn’t know the whole spirit guide story.

To judge from one of the Quarterfinals reviews that's been posted, it might hurt Phantom's show for people to know the soloist is a "spirit guide".