DCI Quarterfinals - Some Thoughts

So day 1 is in the books. My buddy, his family, and I arrived in Indy yesterday around 1PM.

The stadium roof was closed, even though there was no chance of rain. We kind of felt the reason was due to the high heat. It was nice a cool inside the stadium and I think fans appreciated that, but the sound would have been better in an open-air stadium.

Good size crowd for quarters, although not very big during the lower-placing corps. By the time the Madison Scouts came on the crowd seemed to be getting substantially larger.

Overall, a good show from the corps yesterday. It's tough to get a read on the quality of the brass and drums because the boom in the stadium is just too much.

Of the early group of corps I though Jersey Surf did a nice job and got good audience reaction. Very nice Americana show!

Teal Sound did a nice job and the audience liked them. Some may not like the guitar solos, but I actually was not bothered by it and I really enjoyed their music.

The Crossmen also gave a solid performance. This show ended up being much better than what many had originally thought. Music was fun and easy to listen to.

Pioneer also did a nice job, but Cascades, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and Spirit was not super well-received shows and I felt the energy was lacking. When the music became too unfamiliar and/or too disjointed and fragmented the overall show could not hold the attention of the audience. A lot of polite standing ovations, and only Jersey Surf got a "real" standing O.

Of the next set of corps, the best audience-pleasing corps were Madison Scouts, Colts, Boston, and then Blue Knights. Only Madison and Colts got real standing ovations, with Madison getting several in-show partial standing Os and big audience moments, and a massive O at the end. The Colts got a well-deserved standing O at the end.

Troopers were much better than what I saw in Canton, but still disappoint in terms of show design. The kids are doing just fine, but the show lacks connection of thematic content, visual, and overall coordination of the elements.

Academy can play very well. Their brass and drums are just fine, but their pit book was not well integrated, and the visual program is holding them back. I could see them in the top 12 at some point, but the show needs better flow.

The Glassmen were tons better than when I saw them early season. Not a bad show at all, with more hit points and GE built in, but the thematic material is just not that exciting, and I feel that is hurting them. Their brass has come a long way, and the percussion section was fantastic last night.

I love the 1st half of the Blue Knights program. Just great music, drill, and coordination. Music and drill really sells their show. The closer is flat.

Boston Crusaders were also much improved. The opening is great stuff. Classic Boston. After the 1st production though this show loses steam. The very end is not bad, and I do like how they brought Conquest into the program. The brass is SO LOUD at the end. Maybe the loudest of the night. Even for a dome, my ears were hurting after that. Not bad Boston, the show was much improved over what I saw in Akron.

The final grouping of corps all performed well, and some performed AMAZINGLY WELL. Phantom Regiment, Cadets, and Crown seemed to get the most audience reaction in this group. I thought Cavaliers would as well, but even their 2nd production, which has been getting a standing O at many shows, received only a smattering of people standing, with most people left somewhat underwhelmed.

Blue Stars were HOT! Probably should be in 6th place. They play better and march better than SCV and Phantom. Great show by Blue Stars. Audience liked them, but no massive ovation.

SCV was good, but also left the crowd flat. They did receive a nice polite ovation at the end, and I think the audience seems to recognize how difficult it is to pull off a show like that; but for most of the show the crowd was out of it.

Phantom Regiment definitely got the crowd going, receiving big applause moments in their opening moments, in the middle, and definitely at the end. Their music just speaks better to the mass of fans it seemed to me. Their drill is just too hard for them to clean and I would have Blue Stars above them.

The Cadets were also a crowd favorite last night. Big moments of GE, great brass and drums, and that wonderful Cadets drill--one of the best on the field. I thought they were pretty clean and felt they were massively underscored. I had them in 2nd over Crown and Cavaliers at around a 95.7, but I am not sure what the judges are seeing. Jeffrey was great and even more of the cheese is gone from this show. A great and demanding show with a massive standing O at the end.

Carolina Crown also performed super well, very clean, and I actually would have had them above the Cavaliers as well. Their brass was wonderful, nice open use of forms, big field coverage, and a very clean show. Big audience moments and their ballad was gorgeous. I had Crown and Cadets both over Cavaliers and Bluecoats last night, with Cadets just narrowly edging Crown.

The Cavaliers, who have been on a terrific upward swing since mid-season, were just flat and really not very clean. We noticed lots of dirt in their show last night, and some very poor playing from their brass line, yet somehow the judges rewarded the brass. They easily had the worst brass of the top 5 corps and their drill is not clean. The crowd was not as into them as I thought they would have been. Maybe tonight things will click for them, but last night they should have been 5th.

Much the same could be said for the Bluecoats, who I am a big fan of; but the judges missed that call as well. Bluecoats took about 3 to 4 minutes to get into their show. They had a member miss a horns up, all kinds of step off problems, people on the wrong foot, and the drill was just not as crisp and clean as I know they can perform. If I had been judging (and I can hear you all saying thank GOD I was not judging :-) ) I would have had Bluecoats in 4th. Now, let's see if they can crank it up tonight.

This is just me, obviously, but I had it:

1. BD 2. Cadets 3. Crown 4. Bluecoats and 5. Cavaliers

6. Blue Stars 7. Phantom 8. SCV

9. Madison 10. Blue Knights 11. Boston 12. Glassmen

So, tonight maybe the Cavaliers and Bluecoats will show up and nail those shows, but they did not deserve 96s last night, and the Cadets and Crown were FAR cleaner, better, with every bit the equal in demand and program coordination. Also, clearly Crown and Cadets got better audience reaction, and Bluecoats and Cavaliers got very little crowd reaction, with mostly polite standing ovations.

Now this also leads me to the last corps of the evening, the Mighty Blue Devils. Ladies and Gentlemen, I kid you not, but what I saw last night was the best performance by a drum corps that I have EVER SEEN!!! If the judges gave the Cavaliers and Bluecoats 96s, then BD was a 100. The Blue Devils should have beat the next two corps by 3 to 4 points, and I am not sure it's that close.

I will also admit that, while the music book is not my favorite and is a bit choppy, you do have to see this show live. I was just BLOWN away by this thing live and have to thank the Blue Devils for giving me the thrills of seeing a drum corps perform at such an amazing level. I think of some of the best performances ever (not best shows ever), and this one has them all beat. Cadets 2005, Cavaliers 2002, Cadets 1998, BD 1994, BD 1986 and 1982, and SCV 1989 could not touch this year's Blue Devils.

The mirrors are fabulous, provide some great effects, and there were many moments where the audience was oohing and aahing at this show, and they actually had some nice audience reaction moments (more than SCV and a number of other corps).

I was a little disappointed in the DCI judging and know they can do a better job than what they did last night. Come on guys! The slotting thing has got to stop. BD won that show by almost 4 points and it's not fair to underscore the Devils just because you wish to keep it close. Most people we spoke with after the show were surprised BD's score was not higher. After Saturday night this should be the new record holder. A 99.5 is deserved in my opinion.

Also, Cadets and Crown clearly outperformed the Cavaliers and Bluecoats and that should show. Blue Stars are clearly outperforming Phantom and SCV and that should show. But that's just my opinion, and, of course, things can change tonight and I will note that in tomorrow's review of tonight. Positions 2 - 5 are close and should be able to change on a daily basis, depending on performance.

Ok, time to relax here in Indy, do some shopping, and then we'll see where things fall tonight. Good luck to all the corps.

Edited by jwillis35

Wow. Just Wow. I also feel that this BD show/performance is going ot rank among my best of all time, without a doubt. The field this year is full of diversity, fun, challenge, and difficulty, each corps gets better than the previous, you think that maybe uh-oh. BD better watch out then,..they come on..and its all over.

Amazing

G

Gret review. and observations.

This is just me, obviously, but I had it:

1. BD 2. Cadets 3. Crown 4. Bluecoats and 5. Cavaliers

6. Blue Stars 7. Phantom 8. SCV

9. Madison 10. Blue Knights 11. Boston 12. Glassmen

Now this also leads me to the last corps of the evening, the Mighty Blue Devils. Ladies and Gentlemen, I kid you not, but what I saw last night was the best performance by a drum corps that I have EVER SEEN!!! If the judges gave the Cavaliers and Bluecoats 96s, then BD was a 100. The Blue Devils should have beat the next two corps by 3 to 4 points, and I am not sure it's that close.

I will also admit that, while the music book is not my favorite and is a bit choppy, you do have to see this show live. I was just BLOWN away by this thing live and have to thank the Blue Devils for giving me the thrills of seeing a drum corps perform at such an amazing level. I think of some of the best performances ever (not best shows ever), and this one has them all beat. Cadets 2005, Cavaliers 2002, Cadets 1998, BD 1994, BD 1986 and 1982, and SCV 1989 could not touch this year's Blue Devils.

The mirrors are fabulous, provide some great effects, and there were many moments where the audience was oohing and aahing at this show, and they actually had some nice audience reaction moments (more than SCV and a number of other corps).

I was a little disappointed in the DCI judging and know they can do a better job than what they did last night. Come on guys! The slotting thing has got to stop. BD won that show by almost 4 points and it's not fair to underscore the Devils just because you wish to keep it close. Most people we spoke with after the show were surprised BD's score was not higher. After Saturday night this should be the new record holder. A 99.5 is deserved in my opinion.

Also, Cadets and Crown clearly outperformed the Cavaliers and Bluecoats and that should show. Blue Stars are clearly outperforming Phantom and SCV and that should show. But that's just my opinion, and, of course, things can change tonight and I will note that in tomorrow's review of tonight. Positions 2 - 5 are close and should be able to change on a daily basis, depending on performance.

Ok, time to relax here in Indy, do some shopping, and then we'll see where things fall tonight. Good luck to all the corps.

I agree 100% and do not know how anyone couldd possibly disagree. BD 2010 is indeed a paradigm changer. And I couldn't be happier that I have had the opportunity to see this corps' magnificent performance level several times this summer. Bravo Blue Devils!!!! :tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by Jim Allen

I agree 100%.

Thought CADETS and CROWN were extremely clean and underscored compared to CAVIES. Judges shouldn't just slot corps irregardless

of performance. Just what I saw...

Count me in as one that 100% agrees with your assessment of the top 5. I think Cadets and Crown should be battling for second.... with BD about 4 points ahead of them. I would add Bluecoats to that battle if their performance was just a little cleaner. But Cavies... yeah, I don't see how they are sitting in second with so much dirt. And only 0.8 from BD tonight (Semis)... the judges must really like their show.

thank you, thank you, thank you....I don't often post, and was hesitant to post after the theater viewing. I'm not really into causing drama in a certain corps fanbase.

But, I completely agree as well. What do these judges see in the Cavies.? My only viewing this year was quarters in the theater, and their brass was not good at all....but, I've never been a fan of their technique...also some really bad attacks and releases. I'm a brass guy, and I obviously focus on that area. I've felt in the past the Cavies were placing high just because of GE. I suppose Visual too, but IMHO they were very sloppy visually as well.

The top 3 placing corps are just more aggressive in show design than the others below. BD is in a league by themselves..no doubt about it this year. But, I can't get over how judges constantly award poor execution (from a musical point of view) in a musical activity....mainly a musical activity, I think?