Former Champions

...and it doesn't even have to be only champions, I suppose. I'm just curious to see what others think about this topic. Where would the "Top 5 Most Legendary Shows" fall? Could any corps from 1972-2007 be crowned champion based on the way shows are judged today (not to mention the intense competition within the Top 12, this year in particular)?

In terms of recent years, I think Cadets '05 still stands up pretty well, as does Cavies '02. I can't really convince myself that any show prior to 2002 could win it all today...

...MAYBE Star '93...

Thoughts?

Star wouldn't lose anything due to "adjudication." They would lose due to execution.

I think most of the 1990s shows would still win. The Cavies ones with lesser hornlines may not fare well, depends on who they're up against.

Cavaliers 2002 "Frameworks" while great in its day (and 1 of my all time favorites) would probably be hard pressed to break the top 5 today. Just look at how the "Judges" butchered "Samurai" '08 - a show 10x better. I think SCV "Phantom Of The Opera" might still stand the test of time, while their Guard Bottle Dance from "Fiddler" will always be THE classic Guard move. IMHO, of course.

Cavaliers 2002 "Frameworks" while great in its day (and 1 of my all time favorites) would probably be hard pressed to break the top 5 today. Just look at how the "Judges" butchered "Samurai" '08 - a show 10x better. I think SCV "Phantom Of The Opera" might still stand the test of time, while their Guard Bottle Dance from "Fiddler" will always be THE classic Guard move. IMHO, of course.

I don't know about this particular example. I think Frameworks blows Samurai away!

I think that Mad World would beat Frameworks, and Through a Glass Darkly would curbstomp it, personally. And I love me some early 2000's Cavies ('04 being one of my favorite shows this decade).

Being a BD fan, I have to qualify this post by saying I loved Mad World as well, even if some of the Marine Corps references felt a tiny bit forced. Also, many of the corps members would've been disqualified on the pushups in a PT test!

The horn line the cavies had in 02 was brilliant. The drill was more difficult and the show was cleaner the guard better. Seeing both shows lives multiple times there is no comparison IMO. That is the Cavaliers best show.

I'll have to rewatch it, but I don't remember the music being as compelling/difficult as this year's, nor do I remember the drill being harder (though it was impeccably clean).

I can't say I got to watch it live, though, since 2003 was my first year watching drum corps (coincidentally, the first show I ever saw was a BD/Cavies showdown).