Is it ok to "boo"

To Boo or Not to Boo  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's acceptable to boo?

• Yes
    • No

I don't care what you think about a corps, or their program.

It is NOT, under ANY circumstances, OK to boo the efforts of hard working kids who have busted their ##### off all summer and paid out of their own pockets to entertain YOU.

EVER!!!!

I completely agree. The members work too hard to be disrespected like that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. And like yourself I am definitely in the crowd of folks that does not want to be disruptive to my fellow fans.

A couple of simple things.....

booing......it's been done during the announcement of a drum corps shows results (scores/placements) since at least the early 1950's. So...it's not the result of a society gone bad (There are other examples that represent that i.e. cell phone usage....)

Many years ago......when the show announcer introduced each of the judges for the contest.....the crowd/fans booed certain judges.....

Drum corps is about life lessons. Some are good/positive......some are bad/negative.

Just because it has been done in the past doesn't mean it is the ethical thing to do. If everyone looked to the past to see how to behave, we would all still have African Americans segregated, women wouldn't be allowed to vote, and smoking cannabis would still be legal.

I just find it dismaying that adults would choose to boo kids who are performing for them and then further justify it because you paid some money?!?! Big deal. Some will say they aren't booing the kids, they are booing the judges, or the designers, or whomever... I am sure it does not feel that way to the kids.

Well, then take heart - it's not the kids who are being booed. And you know it. And so do the kids.

Dang! This was a tough one for me. While I voted "Acceptable" based on my belief that Freedom Of Expression is guaranteed, (and believe me, during my years as a Chicago Cavalier I received my share of "Boos" from partisan supporters of other Corps).

I do think, however, that "Booing" is at the best discourteous, and at the worst disgraceful. Do we think that "Booing" negates the accomplishments of THEIR Corps & elevate OURS? Guess again! We Cavaliers laughed at the Boos while we were holding the 1st Place Trophy, but I don't know how the current MMs react. I suspect that the BDs couldn't care less! Do I think that The Cavaliers deserved to win DCI? You Bet! And while, in my heart, I would "BOO" the results, I would NEVER "Boo" the Ladies & Gentlemen from California! A better Poll would be on "Courtesy" rather than "Acceptability".

And BTW, Congratulations, Blue Devils!

But, watch out, The Green Machine is coming to getcha in '11! :smile:

Well, then take heart - it's not the kids who are being booed. And you know it. And so do the kids.

So you have the ability to delve into the minds of all the young adults who perform on the field to see how they feel and react to the booing?

So you have the ability to delve into the minds of all the young adults who perform on the field to see how they feel and react to the booing?

I think, given the 100s of hours of practice & performance that these GIFTED performers have devoted to their shows, "Booing" may be heartbreaking. All I can advise them is to be proud of what you do and realize that a bunch of partisan rubes (and yes, I have been 1) have NO IDEA of what you have accomplished. PRIDE always, ARROGANCE as neccessary. My God, what these so called "Kids" accomplish today is Light Years beyond what we "Dinosaurs" did in "The Golden Age". Heck, I wouldn't make the cut for Waterboy these days. :smile:

You can keep telling yourself that, but it is pure bologna. It is demoralizing and heart breaking to the kids, and they certainly are not reading into the intent behind the boo's.

Edited by jwscv87

Horrifying. I personaly could never boo towards any corps. I like every aspect of the activity including the rivalries, the "complaining" etc.....I wouldnt dare dsirespect the effort the kids put out.

I wouldnt tell YOU what to do, I really dont care, I dont live with you, but I know I couldnt, and wouldnt.

G

Apparently you didn't read this post from the Star Alumni corps semi-final performance thread:

However, I have to say that there was one bitter-sweet moment for me as an alumni. It was absolutely amazing to watch the crowd and feel the warmth of the praise heaped upon the group. For those that say we were universally loved as a goup...I beg to differ. During my years I saw, heard, and felt the wrath of MANY unappreaciative fans in the form of boos and other disparaging remarks. I turned to a close friend while on the sideline last night and made the remark that if we would have been received like that more often in the early 90's we probably would not have an alumni corps on the field, but a compteing junior corps. Who knows...maybe not. However, I can assure you that last night went a long way to making up some of the feelings that all alumni from star can relate to.