Returning to Finals Competition, after a 17 year absense

Star 2011 in World Class  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should Star of Indiana return to DCI in World Class Competition?

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • No.
    • I'm indifferent.
  2. 2. If they come back, do you think they'd make Finals immediately?

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • No.
    • It'd depend on the program, the kids performing, the staff teaching and the judges judging.

Hey, I like Marie and I like waffles. What is the waffles reference, anyhow. Have I missed a new cultural meme?

Can I get the waffles with a side order of hash browns?

No waffles for Boo. :innocent:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be silly. If this wonderful dream were to become a reality, looking to Mason to "lead" the corps is clearly the wrong direction. Frankly, the Scouts can have him!

The two best candidates to be director of the new, back to their DCI roots Star of Indiana are Becky Saddlemire and Amber Sears. Both have the passion and integrity, not to mention the organizational and people skills. Either lady could do a wonderful job in this role, and both have more connected, long time drum corps insiders in their Rolodex and at their disposal than I think they even realize. If only the stars were to align...

(And it's about time that DCI has a top organization run by a woman.)

Edited by kstein

If only the stars were too align...

Nice unintentional pun there! :cool:

Without participating in the poll...

I miss Star. I hope they return. The more the merrier. But I'm assuming (having just gone through that process) that if they did, they would be coming back in Open Class. I'm also assuming that the alum would be directing it. I don't know that Mason is welcome at this point...many are kind of bitter toward his ever taking the corps inactive in the first place.

OC would certainly be better off with Star's presence...I would vote to approve them...except that I don't personally have any such vote. Just sayin'. Oh, and assuming they assemble a capable management team, which I expect they would.

Interesting conjecture on the part of OP. Hope it happens. But I'm sure part of their thought process would be, "Will it be a high-quality venture like it was first time around? Or will it be less than that?"

I'm sure the fact that Star never placed out of Finals crosses minds any time that conversation is had. To launch in World Class today would probably REQUIRE Bill Cook's participation...and reading his take on the matter of launching a drum corps, I doubt he would want to do that again. But I don't know the dude...maybe...

They should have stayed in the first place rather than go and try and change the world.

Long gone and hard to find.

Not change the world, but rather create their own, and expose a different audience to the power, beauty, and uniqueness of a 'drum corps' (like) performance. They have succeeded in that realm as well, with a Tony and an Emmy award to show for it. I miss having the home team, but I cannot knock the powers to be at the time taking a different path at the time.

I personally am content to let the name slip into the past. It lives on in the legacy of it's once performers who now occupy staff positions with many of today's World Class corps. BUT if there was to be a new Star of Indiana I can only think of one man who would have the passion, influence, and talent to build a new corps as well as balance the weighty legacy of what once was. A man who has the deepest respect of the alums and could harness the resources, both people and material to get it built right. That leader is Donnie Van Doren.