Should Crown's pre-show have been a part of the show?

Judge Crown's 2010 preshow?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should pre-show have been added to judged portion?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that wasn't the impression i got from crown parents and fundraisers in the stands at Indy. Placement seemed to be their only interest, going as far as wishing bluecoats and cavaliers to mess up so they would progress.

i found their attitude a little bit off putting and when one heckled cavies with the 'killed kenny' shout it put me off the people immediately. In my block we were in a very small minority actually clapping for corps placing above them also.

It's sad to hear when anyone acts that way, but I don't think you can judge an organization by how a handful of supporters behave, especially parents, who are genetically incapable of objectivity. In the 15 years I have been attending championships, I have seen isolated incidences of bad behavior on the part of people associated with every single corps out there, and no one corps has really stood out as a bigger offender than the rest. That said, there may be a little bit more likelihood of fans not knowing how to act when their corps are newer to the scene of whatever echelon they have joined. This would seem to be expected, and DCI needs new and enthusiastic fans enough that I am inclined to give them a little time to learn.

What's the 'killed kenny' thing?

Finally, I don't think Crown's design choices support the accusation that they are primarily interested in placement, as they do too many things they wouldn't do if they were.

Uhhh... can you elaborate?

If I remember correctly, Eric Humbert Story with the Bluecoats did not salute. He turned around, took off his helment, looked at the crowd, raised his head slightly and then turned around to conduct the corps.

Edited by CMFC4Ever

that wasn't the impression i got from crown parents and fundraisers in the stands at Indy. Placement seemed to be their only interest, going as far as wishing bluecoats and cavaliers to mess up so they would progress.

i found their attitude a little bit off putting and when one heckled cavies with the 'killed kenny' shout it put me off the people immediately. In my block we were in a very small minority actually clapping for corps placing above them also.

i'll check back in a few days to see my comments slaughtered!

You are way too sensitive and humorless. I know the person who shouted "someone Killed Kenny" and they are a huge fan of the Cavaliers and liked their show the best. This comment was a tribute to the artistic creativity and subtle sarcastic humor in their show. This shout was in the pre-show portion and you can believe there was also lots of stand up cheering during the rest of their performance.

WRONG! You may continue

i dont think i'm wrong on this one. care to put me right?

also, i'm not humourless and sensitive at all. doing the job i do its a requirement to be the complete opposite. i was sat feet away from the guy who shouted and saying this was a 'tribute' to the creativity is complete BS if you ask me, but keep kidding yourself if thats what you think.

I voted no. It may have pushed them into third, but no further. The problem with Crown both last year and this year is not show concept, but drill design. Leon May is too much into body movement rather than drill formation. Drill is hard enough to clean without throwing in all the body movement they had to do. May need to focus more on drill design in terms of pattern uniqueness rather than trying to get the hornline to dance and move like the guard all the time. There is a place for such movement, just not every other drill set. If people disagree with this assessment, just look at how much drill they had to change over the season. Change is always going to happen, but not every other performance. Also, they didn't seem to have a satisfactory ending to the show. It seemed artificially thrown in, and wasn't emotionally satisfying to me. It is also hard to win a championship playing the same number at the end of the show that you play at the beginning, I mean the number didn't change that much. In fact, the repeat of the music may be the reason why they didn't want it to be judged, because they knew the redundancy would hurt their score. In reality, it did. Judges can't just turn their ears off before they start to judge. So when they hear the same number at the beginning and the end, they are naturally not going to give as much credit to the Corps in terms of GE. Remember these are design flaws I am commenting on, not performance. The members executed this show to a fantastic level, and they have no voice over how the show is designed.

In reality, it is a difficult but true that design issues rather than performance now play such a vital role in how a Corps is placed and scored, because members have no control over such issues. I love the 2010 production, because they performed the crap out of this show, but it just wasn't a winning design.

Crown member 90-92.