Madison Scouts 2011

Yeah i know, i just dont see them beating SCV, as much as i want them to. I really see them sitting at 8th and staying there :\

It is possible, i think tnt will paint a better picture to see. Madison has the hornline, colorguard, and GE to make it possible but SCV has the visual and strong percussion so if they can focus on getting those better they have a chance by the end.

Edited by Armyscout
  • Like 1

I'm not sure where this is going to end up, but I feel the need to post it anyway...

The old lady and I drove up from Chicago to Minneapolis on Friday. I'm a die-hard BD alum, and she's a hardcore "Phan," who'd never heard of drum corps until she met me a couple of years ago. She was first exposed to her beloved Regiment in a theater when they won with "Spartacus," but was denied seeing them for the first time live last July when Minneapolis was rained out. She was also denied the chance to see my sacred Blue Devils that year, but that really isn't important here.

What is important was that we finally made it up there for the second year, and mutually decided to make the short drive up to Osseo HS to check out the Scouts, based largely upon my recommendation of a piece of music we'd only heard on another site.

We got there midway during a run-through, and rushed up into the stands just in time to see and hear them do their closer.

Moments later, yours truly was crying like a baby. I was sobbing uncontrollably. Really, it was ridiculous. You'd think I was watching Titanic for the first time when Rose says goodbye to Jack and lets him sink, or was saying goodbye to the puppy my family had when I was a kid that had become ill and needed to be put down, or when Scout finally meets Boo Radley in Jem's bedroom and Atticus says "Miss Jean Louise Finch, may I introduce Mr. Arthur Radley." It was almost 100 degrees, and I was weeping like a child, and loving every tear.

It was gorgeous. It was moving. It was Ice Castles or Brian's Song, with a far more evolved horn line.

It was enough to make my Blue Devil-tattooed keister go to Madison's souvie trailer and drop almost $100.

It may not be the best closer ever fielded, but it was the first one to move me to tears in almost 30 years (the last one being Ice Castles, which should tell us something).

Make of that what you will.

PS- I cannot apologize enough for my earlier post in which I criticized the Scouts organization unjustly. They have never ceased to be among the classiest corps in the activity, and have, again, provided me with the some of the most emotional and powerful moments I have ever seen on a football field.

My biggest regret is that I never learned how to spin a rifle. GOD, I would have loved to have worn that uniform...

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 7

I'm not sure where this is going to end up, but I feel the need to post it anyway...

The old lady and I drove up from Chicago to Minneapolis on Friday. I'm a die-hard BD alum, and she's a hardcore "Phan," who'd never heard of drum corps until she met me a couple of years ago. She was first exposed to her beloved Regiment in a theater when they won with "Spartacus," but was denied seeing them for the first time live last July when Minneapolis was rained out. She was also denied the chance to see my sacred Blue Devils that year, but that really isn't important here.

What is important was that we finally made it up there for the second year, and mutually decided to make the short drive up to Osseo HS to check out the Scouts, based largely upon my recommendation of a piece of music we'd only heard on another site.

We got there midway during a run-through, and rushed up into the stands just in time to see and hear them do their closer.

Moments later, yours truly was crying like a baby. I was sobbing uncontrollably. Really, it was ridiculous. You'd think I was watching Titanic for the first time when Rose says goodbye to Jack and lets him sink, or was saying goodbye to the puppy my family had when I was a kid that had become ill and needed to be put down, or when Scout finally meets Boo Radley in Jem's bedroom and Atticus says "Miss Jean Louise Finch, may I introduce Mr. Arthur Radley." It was almost 100 degrees, and I was weeping like a child, and loving every tear.

It was gorgeous. It was moving. It was Ice Castles or Brian's Song, with a far more evolved horn line.

It was enough to make my Blue Devil-tattooed keister go to Madison's souvie trailer and drop almost $100.

It may not be the best closer ever fielded, but it was the first one to move me to tears in almost 30 years (the last one being Ice Castles, which should tell us something).

PS- I cannot apologize enough for my earlier post in which I criticized the Scouts organization unjustly. They have never ceased to be among the classiest corps in the activity, and have, again, provided me with the some of the most emotional and powerful moments I have ever seen on a football field.

My biggest regret is that I never learned how to spin a rifle. GOD, I would have loved to have worn that uniform...

Wasnt this on a diff thread? Just curious

I think it was in the thread about the closer. It's also very appropriate for this thread. Thanks for sharing that Hollywood, great story, told well.

• Like 1

This is one of the most awesome things I've read on this site. I hope someone from the Scout Organization prints it out and tapes a copy to the door of the equipment truck so the guys can read it when they're getting their stuff.

• Like 1

Great post - and I'd like to apologize for being such a beyotch to you in that thread. I really need to do my DCP'ing before we break out the wine. Anyway - thanks for the great story!

• Like 1