Those that have tried and failed...we thank you

Which was a big problem for us.We had a dedicated core of 16-17 people and a dozen so-so's.Counting on them, people assumed we'd be able to get to 30, no problem.But the so-so's barely payed their dues,had the highest absenteeism and the least endurance in the end. Today we average 10 out of our 15 horns at rehearsal. I make plans for only 10.So we have a minicorps with 10 horns and 5 alternates.We currently have issues in our percussion section.Until we lock that down I can only guarentee a set drummer. But we now can put out a minicorps and thats what we say we have.No hoping 'warm bodies' will develope,no 'we have 35 people on paper' and no trying be someone we ain't.

Along this line, don't tell an arranger to write for 40 horns unless you have 50. Don't tell a drill guy to write for a certain size unless you are at least 90% sure you'll have that many.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along this line, don't tell an arranger to write for 40 horns unless you have 50. Don't tell a drill guy to write for a certain size unless you are at least 90% sure you'll have that many.

Man, that is so true. That's a big part of what did us in. Try playing "on the waterfront" with 1 contra and 1 lead bari, me. I don't even play lead. Not as effective as Blue or Santa Clara to say the least. We had 28 horns when I joined and only then to help out the bari line. I'm not in shape for running around the field. People just faded away.

Edited by Mike_B

We never did.The problem is that the newest people to the activity have no idea what they are getting in to.They don't understand the committment or the importance of financially supporting what they are doing.Thats why people who have worked it,all the way to Championships, have a special understanding of what they've accomplished,no matter what your placement was.

We never did.The problem is that the newest people to the activity have no idea what they are getting in to.They don't understand the committment or the importance of financially supporting what they are doing.Thats why people who have worked it,all the way to Championships, have a special understanding of what they've accomplished,no matter what your placement was.

My last post was meant as a general comment, not intended for any particular corps. Sorry if it didn't come out that way.

I agree with that, although I'm not a fan about the slow growth plan. Our members mostly all marched before and we were all about competing in DCA, period. If your guys are content with doing parades and indoor shows, that's great. That's not what we were trying to accomplish. Even though Thunder didn't work, we still are the Thunderbirds. We can still play some. :thumbup:

My last post was meant as a general comment, not intended for any particular corps. Sorry if it didn't come out that way.

Didn't take it that way.We've always had cordial disagreement Mike!

I agree with that, although I'm not a fan about the slow growth plan. Our members mostly all marched before and we were all about competing in DCA, period. If your guys are content with doing parades and indoor shows, that's great. That's not what we were trying to accomplish. Even though Thunder didn't work, we still are the Thunderbirds. We can still play some. :thumbup:

Its the only way right now.Wish it were different, but its working.Infrastructure wise we're in the best shape ever.We have our own place,nobody's better equipped and the core staff is really good.We keep getting bigger its just one or two new members a month, instead of 1 or 2 a week.There's no majic bullet but hard work and steady progress.We'll end the season with money in the bank too.

Its the only way right now.Wish it were different, but its working.Infrastructure wise we're in the best shape ever.We have our own place,nobody's better equipped and the core staff is really good.We keep getting bigger its just one or two new members a month, instead of 1 or 2 a week.There's no majic bullet but hard work and steady progress.We'll end the season with money in the bank too.

Money in the bank is a nice way to end. Makes getting the next season underway a little less stressful, just a little. BTW, it's Larry, not Mike. :thumbup:

I think staff is most crucial. That, and having clearly defined goals. I think in most metro areas you have the bodies, but those with real competitive corps experience are only going to show up if the management and especially staff is top-notch, and not friends of the founders or someone who may have marched a year in the local college band that you take because they work for free and might bring some local unexperienced talent with them. Many times in the mid-sized cities, you can get "stuck" if you hire local staff, because it's a small world and unless they are respected in the activity already, you can't attract experienced members in volume because many times, people from one clique in that area don't like the people from another. The only way to solve this is to go outside of your area and get a respected non-local staff. Box five staff attracts box five membership, and I know many who travel simply because of the staff at any particular corps.

When your potential membership has more experience than those you have teaching them, then you are only going to get sub-par membership or those without any prior experience, because they don't know any better. If that is your goal and you want to build from the ground up, then great; I hope it all works for you and I'll be the first to cheer you on.

I also personally wouldn't march a slow-growth corps, and neither would anyone I know. If I'm going to give my time, sweat and dollars up, I want to go somewhere where they are shooting for the stars right out of the gate.

Of course, I never started/founded any corps so I don't have a leg to stand on. But I do know that I, or anyone I know with corps experience, wouldn't march anywhere new unless the corps had that focus and vision to go for it and hire the best national staff "what little money they have" can buy.

I respect anyone taking on this endevour, and for anyone not aiming to field a competitive corps soon and build slowly, if that works for you, then by all means, do it up! To the fledgling corps directors and "future" new corps directors- You are blessed individuals to take this feat on, and I have great admiration for you. I couldn't do it if my life depended on it.

Edited by ahquad