Those that have tried and failed...we thank you

I'm not knocking anyone who tried to start a corps but I'm wondering what you encountered as the biggest deterent to getting to the field.

The biggest problem Renegades encountered in the early days (99) was DCI, who was literally trying to kill the corps off. The #2 issue that we faced was the fact that there had never really been senior corps on the West Coast, so people had no idea ... thus, we had to get creative.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have luckily never been a part of a corps that has gone under and more lucky to be part of a corps that is very much on solid ground financially.

Having said that, I think the fundamental problem facing all corps (new and existing) is that drum corps makes no economic sense. The cost to supply the product far outpaces the demand for the product and what people are willing to pay for it. This problem exists whether you have a tiny corps or are the Blue Devils.

If I were to launch a new corps, I'd be be focusing on the income side of the equation because your expense side is already clear: Running a drum corps. Now what's the sustainable model going to be to pay for that?

Eric fails to mention two secret weapons Minnesota Brass uses to attract and retain talent: 1) Steak Camp 2) Ann Jones' peanut butter bars.

Eric fails to mention two secret weapons Minnesota Brass uses to attract and retain talent: 1) Steak Camp 2) Ann Jones' peanut butter bars.

Beer!

You should seek input from the Sun Devils, Alliance and other recent successes ... I don't think there's a "one-size-fits-all" plan ... but ... the $$$ and membership seem to be two important components ... where are you located? (sorry if it's been stated) ... :-)

Sun Devils

#1 - staff and program - we had a good staff and program direction. we decided to go for high level from the beginning.

I know this goes against other advice. If we create a good buzz, we felt that we could attract higher lever performers.

we also had volunteer staff but that can't last forever ( more $$ will be an issue ). We needed to try to retain anyone that came to an open house

#2 - Money - we were fortunate to get $$$ and equipment donated from Heatwave. (see luck) we will need to step it up for the future

#3 Luck - The world is full of good ideas , but you need to get lucky and have some things fall in place. We also were able to secure loaned equipment (front ensemble 1st year, Bb brass year 2 and everything year 3).

I do believe that the corps should have local roots to build relationships for $$$ and volunteers.

In my limited experience, lack of membership is what kills off most startup projects. Usually if the bodies are there, the money issues can be resolved.

I think it's extremely important to understand what kind of corps you're trying to be, who your target member is, and how to brand your corps in such a way as to present the image that reflects who you want to be and attracts the kind of person you're looking for as a potential member.

Eddie already mentioned that at Sun Devils we decided to go for a fairly modern and aggressive approach to programming right from the beginning. There were several reasons for this, but a big one was that it would appeal to the market we have for membership here in Fl. With no long tradition of DCA or smaller junior corps, the only drum corps people around here are familiar with is the top 12 world class DCI corps. That's what they expect to get when they join a drum corps, because that's the only kind of drum corps they know. Even Teal Sound, as a large and successful open class corps had to struggle to live up to that standard. I think anyone involved in the last few years of Heat Wave will acknowledge that the corps' fun image, while very popular with crowds, was a major detriment when it came to recruiting members and staff in our own community. That doesn't mean I think everyone should start out trying to emulate Santa Clara, especially if you don't have the staff and members to pull it off, but you should think about how your programming is going to affect your recruiting.

The branding goes far beyond show design, as well. Things like your name, logo, colors, website, recruiting flyers, etc. all need to be created with an eye towards presenting a clear and consistent image to the world. It all adds up to create an impression in the mind of your audience and potential members, long before they ever see your performance.

In my limited experience, lack of membership is what kills off most startup projects. Usually if the bodies are there, the money issues can be resolved.

Especially if you go out with a modest show schedule.

What you describe is a big chunk of why En Garde didn't field in 08. We had plenty of people at the open house...far more than the 30 bodies required by DCI, but a good chunk of them didn't come back for the first camp (I DID see some grimaces when we outlined the show concept), real life got in the way of others, and finances was the 3rd strike.

We never had more than a dozen regulars....they tried their damndest, learned the opener with drill, but we could never get it together in time for evaluation.

Don't worry, tho....I'm plotting the comback as we speak...

Especially if you go out with a modest show schedule.

What you describe is a big chunk of why En Garde didn't field in 08. We had plenty of people at the open house...far more than the 30 bodies required by DCI, but a good chunk of them didn't come back for the first camp (I DID see some grimaces when we outlined the show concept), real life got in the way of others, and finances was the 3rd strike.

We never had more than a dozen regulars....they tried their damndest, learned the opener with drill, but we could never get it together in time for evaluation.

Don't worry, tho....I'm plotting the comback as we speak...

Which was a big problem for us.We had a dedicated core of 16-17 people and a dozen so-so's.Counting on them, people assumed we'd be able to get to 30, no problem.But the so-so's barely payed their dues,had the highest absenteeism and the least endurance in the end. Today we average 10 out of our 15 horns at rehearsal. I make plans for only 10.So we have a minicorps with 10 horns and 5 alternates.We currently have issues in our percussion section.Until we lock that down I can only guarentee a set drummer. But we now can put out a minicorps and thats what we say we have.No hoping 'warm bodies' will develope,no 'we have 35 people on paper' and no trying be someone we ain't.

n

WRONG!

This doesn't even work for "Alumni" corps. I can drink a heck of a lot of beer, wine, or whatever else I fancy on what it costs me to get to ONE rehearsal.

d with more and more corps having members under 21, that opens up far more cans of worms

Which was a big problem for us.We had a dedicated core of 16-17 people and a dozen so-so's.Counting on them, people assumed we'd be able to get to 30, no problem.But the so-so's barely payed their dues,had the highest absenteeism and the least endurance in the end. Today we average 10 out of our 15 horns at rehearsal. I make plans for only 10.So we have a minicorps with 10 horns and 5 alternates.We currently have issues in our percussion section.Until we lock that down I can only guarentee a set drummer. But we now can put out a minicorps and thats what we say we have.No hoping 'warm bodies' will develope,no 'we have 35 people on paper' and no trying be someone we ain't.

Yep...you have to work with what you DO have and not with what you HOPE to have.