Those that have tried and failed...we thank you

You forgot Bridgemen Alumni, Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, BSGK, Hurcs, and Cadets. Each organization has there own appeal and people will march where they want to march, no matter how far away it is.

You are forgetting that we're talking about a new, first year corps. There is no draw developed yet, other than geography, staff and music selection.

Edited by Mike_B

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot Bridgemen Alumni, Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, BSGK, Hurcs, and Cadets. Each organization has there own appeal and people will march where they want to march, no matter how far away it is.

I actually meant soley DCA competitive. And Hurcs are a bit farther out mileage wise.....more than Reading.

People who want to compete don't want to march Alumni and vice versa.....

Yes, in my personal opinion that is the better bet. Slowly get the horse rolling.

So, do you beleive the best way to start a corps would be with a mini corps or parade corps year 1-3, then do limited field shows years 4-6 then full season?

my view is that if you can get into 4 - 6 shows, even for a corps that has been around a while, you are doing good,.............the only corps who get a couple more than that are top 10, and even for some of those, that is a stretch,.............

We are still working on our Drum Corps and these are the problems we have had:

1. Membership: This is an everchanging thing. We have had 3 generations of members in one year. Our neighbors to the South have had the same thing happen to them. Recruiting is something that has to continue all the time. It's not just finding people who are interested but people who are interested and have the time to invest. They pretty much have to look at it as their hobby or they are not going to last.

2. Money: We are trying to find a fundraiser that works for a membership of 15 people. Royals and Chiefs concessions are looking promising.

3. Equipment: We are almost done collecting the Hornline, we have a small battery and will collect a pit next.

4. paying gigs. There are non in our Metropolitan area. We will have to road trip to experience getting played to play and march.

5. Becoming DCA and DCI affiliated: This is expensive. $1,000 to $1,200 is a lot of cash for a new group. Being able to pay this without pain would be a clue the group has some operating money.

The next problem is who to join 1st? We have more DCI shows in the region than DCA but DCA is more fun.

Ensemble, Parade Corps, Mini Corps, Field Corps?

The Ensemble is the easiest thing to do. Brass, Drums or both. We have a Brass Ensemble and the Color Guard is looking at an independent floor show.

The Parade Corps is the next easiest. If your group has guts you can march with a minimal group. We do this now.

Mini Corps: This is our next step.

Field Corps: We are wanting produce a field show for exhibition.

The way to solve most if not all of these problems is to have people that will not give up on the project.

Edited by Kansan

A small group of us attempted to start a corps last year. The main challenge we faced was simply the time required - we were all busy people, and in order to make it successful we would have had to devote all of our available time to getting the effort off the ground. Too many people weren't ready to make that commitment

So, do you beleive the best way to start a corps would be with a mini corps or parade corps year 1-3, then do limited field shows years 4-6 then full season?

You should seek input from the Sun Devils, Alliance and other recent successes ... I don't think there's a "one-size-fits-all" plan ... but ... the $$$ and membership seem to be two important components ... where are you located? (sorry if it's been stated) ...

:-)

You should seek input from the Sun Devils, Alliance and other recent successes ... I don't think there's a "one-size-fits-all" plan ... but ... the $$$ and membership seem to be two important components ... where are you located? (sorry if it's been stated) ...

:-)

I agree wholeheartedly. My ideas were based on lessons learned the hard way..... Good luck.

I don't think there is a really good answer to your question. Everyones situation is different. It's more or less like a "feel your way through it" type of thing and relates to the level of participation and comittment. Basically it's a Crap shoot.

Having said all that.....you might be surprised at the interest once you've put it all out there....so...nothing ventured....nothing gained.

Best of Luck.