Senior/All Age Field Show Performances

I'm wondering how many times on average a DCA Corps gets to perform their field show in a given season? : :thumbup:

How many people actually get to see the show? :tongue:

When are DCA corps putting their shows on the practice field especially the corps from areas of 4 seasons. Are some waiting until the 1st week of August? :thumbup:

Just trying to find out what really goes on. :thumbup:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite.

This year, Minnesota Brass will perform Caravan 11 times in uniformed competitions or exhibitions.

June: Madison (WI) and Stillwater (MN)

July: Minneapolis (MN) and Jamestown (NY)

August: Racine (WI), Kenosha (WI), St. Peter (WI), S. St. Paul (MN), Andover (MN) (exhibition)

September: Rochester (NY) x 2 (we hope)

Total Audience for shows ~ 13,000 (obviously driven by the large attendance at DCI Minnesota)

In addition we have a couple of 'special' run throughs where we invite alums and family to join us (last camp, last Wednesday night rehearsal, etc.) but those aren't in uniform.

We definitely have four seasons in Minnesota :tongue: We start learning our show the first weekend of May (often with snow flurries); first performance is the last weekend in June.

We did 5 parades this year.

This year we have done our show at 3 DCi shows and 2 DCA shows and next weekend at Rochester. We started music in November and drill on the field mid April.

Changing numbers on the field forced us to reteach over and over to new members.

We've had the entire show on the field for about 3 weeks.

I was kinda wondering what the flow of everyones year is.

It seems our year really picks up mid July to 1st week of August membership and participation wise. :tongue:

We do pretty good until March and then everything stops in April and May with peoples life commitments and they come back in July and start all over again. :tongue:

I'm trying to figure out if our member participation cycle is normal to the activity or do we need to fix what occurs in April, May and June to have enough time to put a show on the field for July and August? :worthy:

With our natural flow, we could start back up after the 4th of July and get things going with a stepped up rehearsal schedule. This would be a tight timeline. :thumbup:

I guess my quandry is do we need to fight the natural flow or bend like a reed and work with it? :thumbup: :thumbup:

I believe most of the NE corps are camps in increasing frequency starting in November, and then all weekend every weekend from Memorial - Labor Day.

Approx 10 shows, plus DCA weekend

We have just gone with one 4 hour rehearsal on a Saturday per month in the past. One saturday a month is ok for a parade Corps but is clearly not enough time to work on a show.

This year we are going to two 2 hour weeknight Wednesday rehearsals for sectionals and one 4 Hour Saturdayfull corps rehearsal per month. This doubles our group rehearsal time from 4 hours to 8 hours.

So from what your saying we should probably increase our rehearsal time from Memorial Day and push through to Labor Day weekend.

Edited by Kansan

Its really just a matter of how much time you can put in, and still have it be productive. Certainly the more rehearsals the better, but if there is a conflict where a lot of people need to miss (ie in the PA/NJ area the indoor drumline/guard championships) then it may be better to take that weekend off.

It also depends how ambitious the show design is, skill level of the players, etc. I think every group ideally needs to figure out what schedule works best for them

We have just gone with one 4 hour rehearsal on a Saturday per month in the past. One saturday a month is ok for a parade Corps but is clearly not enough time to work on a show.

This year we are going to two 2 hour weeknight Wednesday rehearsals for sectionals and one 4 Hour Saturdayfull corps rehearsal per month. This doubles our group rehearsal time from 4 hours to 8 hours.

So from what your saying we should probably increase our rehearsal time from Memorial Day and push through to Labor Day weekend.

Check out some corps websites and take a look at their calendars. That will give you an idea of how much time they are putting in.

I THINK the average # of shows I did with SoCal Dream was 7 for California shows (would've been 9, but we only went up north for the July shows, not the June ones)...add 1-2 for DCA.

With no Sr circuit out here, all the Srs have are DCI shows.

What, no reply from a Renegade yet?

Guess I'll go back through the calendar and come back with an answer.........(sigh)