Shows that you find boring that lots of people rave about

Gotta disagree. In person '84 Garfield was an overwhelming experience. '83 was unbelievable and I remember thinking there was no way they could top it. In '84 they did. Someone said the hornline was bad, but remember, the equipment they were playing on was archaic. I joined in '85 on baritone (chrome DEG thank you) and spent that entire season marching next to a chrome valve/rotor contra. They weren't the most in tune, nor their tone the most perfect, but they were balanced, tight as hell, and LOUD. Incredible corps. Seeing them many times that year, I can't tell you how many times myself and the rest of the audience thought the end of "America" was the end of the show. It was that impactive.

Well, it's just personal opinion, but plug that show in on the west coast and I think you get a diff reaction. Personally, I thought they were flat on finals night... quite flat. Since I already stepped over the sour grapes line... ya, I was pretty bored by a number of sections (but, to be fair, there was some stuff I liked quite a bit -- there were moments in the show that were ###### beautiful, and that hornline "was" pretty solid).

In terms of the marching, in retrospect, I think Tom's right. Technically, it probably wasn't all that groundbreaking... "they" did it before. But, still, it was light years ahead of everyone else.

An aside, when I listen to shows nowadays, I still hear a lot of early 80's Garfield influence. Obvious tempo requirements aside, a lot of the fast & loud syncopated 16th note patterns mixed in between the drum ensemble seem to be a staple.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Cavaliers show

has there ever been a Cavaliers show that wasn't boring? :beer:

I do think they are a great corps and have done great shows. But I concur - none of their shows, except "007", had me even mildly interested.

has there ever been a Cavaliers show that wasn't boring? :beer:

I do think they are a great corps and have done great shows. But I concur - none of their shows, except "007", had me even mildly interested.

How can you not like their shows?! They did 4 pushups this year!!!