06 Regiment

08 Blue Stars

10 Bluecoats

07-09 Madison Scouts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big one that sticks in my mind, since its recent...

09 SCV (10 as well, but i didnt see it getting 'raved' about). For me it was a borefest ended with a company front. Oddly enough it was similar in 2010.... came away thinking 'that show needs about 9 minutes more of that last minute)

May have more later, this one just stuck out.

edit-

I almost added Madison 2010 here. I dont think they're boring per se, but they were also hyped more than anyone else, so i would say they were 'boring compared to ridiculous expectations put forth by their fans'. They had a fine 10th-11th place show, and it was the right show in terms of design and demand for where they were coming from. It will be very interesting to see what they come out with this year.

Edited by AlexL

Good Thread, interesting in reading the different taste that people have.

For me, Blue Devils 2003. I don't know why, but I just did not like it. I LOVE BD 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004, but NOT 2003. I even watched it again 2 days ago and while i see the awesome talent and execution, I just didn't like the show.

The first show that immediately popped into my head was Phantom 03.

I also have something of a distaste for:

Phantom 06 and 05

Madison 2010

Crown 2006

SCV 89

I think it's pretty funny reading some of these posts and seeing what people view as shows that are raved on. Half of the shows people are listing were universally canned.

Garfield 84. Musically mildly interesting, but the drill is very unattractive. NOT the mold-breaker everyone seems to think it is IMO.

When you look back at what '84 Garfield was doing with drill, it was absolutely a mold-breaker. But when you stack it up against shows from the following years they might not have seemed so earth shattering. To me it's like when people say that they don't understand what the big deal is about the Beatles. Well when you listen to the pop music that was out there when the Beatles started, they were truly ground breaking. When you fast forward 10 years, you can tell what an influence they had on the music scene. When you fast forward a few years from 1984 you can totally tell what Garfield did was similarly important to the visual aspect of drum corps. You might be bored by them in 2010, but look at the crowd reaction on the video from '84. People were throwing babies for a reason...they had never seen anything like that before. I imagine that there will be some that will want to stone me to death for making a Garfield to Beatles comparison, but I'm just using that as an expample. Sorry you were bored, but their influece was HUGE on the activity.

When you look back at what '84 Garfield . . .

You might be bored by them in 2010, but look at the crowd reaction on the video from '84. People were throwing babies for a reason...

Yes, they were... because SOMEONE finally broke the west coast's complete and utter dominance of the activity, and it wasn't just a one year fluke.

Not to take away anything from the corps (and the visual WAS groundbreaking... not sure how you could dispute that), but you could'a plugged in "your favorite non-west coast dc here" and a good portion of that glee would still have been present... regardless of show.

Not a whine... I personally enjoyed the east/midwest/west rivalry and pseudo animosity.

I'm not surprised by the diversity of opinion. I am nonetheless pleased to see some independent thought on a few of these shows. Folks here and in the stands sometimes make us feel like deviants for not ordering whatever flavor is in vogue. It's refreshing to know I'm not the only one not falling in line behind Madison's 2010 hype or who was left flat in 2006 by Phantom's Faust. It appears I'm also not alone among those who can appreciate some of the music pre-80s but find little appeal in the visual even though I cut my drum corps teeth in that era.

HH

Interesting thread -

In no particular order

Blue Devils 89 (wish it was more like 88)

Blue Devils 91 (first minute fine, after that ... )

Phantom Regiment 92

Cadets 93

Cavaliers 93

Cadets 98

Phantom Regiment 98

Glassmen 00

Cavaliers 04

SCV 06

SCV 08

Cavaliers 09

SCV 09

Bluecoats 09

Blue Devils 09 (until the 'Untouchables" theme)