need advice picking a corps!

Shoot for the corps you like, NOT the one with the best placement. You go for placement and you might have a long horrible summer. Life isn't about placement and the sooner you learn that the better. Remember this: Only one, ONE corps goes home the champ. Roll the dice, OR march somewhere with the corps you relate to musically and stylewise.

you make so much sense :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope; I am saying that the likelihood of a 19 year old running a successful corps falls in that situation; but we can also use that anaolgy in helping Snarelife realize that it "somewhat" applies to his situation because only a very few high school age players make it into the top twelve corps as a snare drummer. Many people posting here have 'only' encouraged him to go for the gusto, and not many have pointed out that very few high school aged people with no prior corps experience accomplish that task.

Yes that is correct; the thing is, how many posting here are really, and I mean really, informing Snarelife that in reality it only happens a handfull of times a year?

Stu, he tried out last year and saw who made the line, his teacher is drum corps savvy and is helping him out and his Dad marched. I think he knows.

But a handful of HS age members do make it each year....and they wouldn't if they were talked in to not trying out.

Don't discount marching an all age corps to gain some more experience...LOTS of good corps within easy reach; MBI, Kilties, Governaires, Chops Inc. Plenty of DCI participants took the DCA road to get there.

My parents wouldn't let me march in a DCA corps. They said there's too much exposure to alcohol...I totally agree with them.

My parents wouldn't let me march in a DCA corps. They said there's too much exposure to alcohol...I totally agree with them.

Theres just as much alcohol in junior corps, just mixed with gatorade so the staff doesnt find it...

Back in my high school days I knew a fantastic snare player. He was with Southwind for 2 years then went on to march with Star in 92&93.Another guy I did high school drum line with also did Southwind for a couple then got his dream spot with Crossmen in 96.They wanted to build up their skills with a quality program before playing with the big boys.But hey,do what feels right.Good luck.

Theres just as much alcohol in junior corps, just mixed with gatorade so the staff doesnt find it...

Just out of curiosity, with your "expert" knowledge, out of a 150 members in a junior drum corps how many members on average are actually spiking their Gatorade with alcohol?

Just out of curiosity, with your "expert" knowledge, out of a 150 members in a junior drum corps how many members on average are actually spiking their Gatorade with alcohol?

Enough to throw some crazy bus dance parties :hehe::guinesssmilie::music:

Enough to throw some crazy bus dance parties :hehe::guinesssmilie::music:

So 2 or 3 members then?

No joking; how many?

a few kids ... myself included... getting their hands on a few beers has been going on since I can remember being 14 in a corps, and being very influenced by the "older guys" behavior. However, my own personal "fear" of being tossed out of the corps, or disappointing my dad if he found out I did that or just the trouble I would get in in general and the ramifications of the drum major I would suffer as "public humiliation" in front of the corps kept me away from doing the really bad things.

I agree with Stu here, though... let's not OVERstate the numbers and create a wide-spread panic that's not there.

Edited by GGarrett