Keeping Fit after Aging Out - A new diet book

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calories in < calories out = weight loss, but nobody really cares about weight loss. What they care about is fat loss.

Calories in < calories out + proper macronutrient splits + exercise = fat loss.

Absolutely, but when you're in the 20%+ bodyfat range (for males) like many drum corps alums macros don't really matter nearly as much as just creating a caloric deficit. Once you get below 15% then you should probably start hitting the weights and focusing on your macros, not that the weights wouldn't be beneficial at higher BF percentages.

And in many ways nutrition is probably at least as complicated as rocket science, if not more so…

If you really want to learn something about nutrition, read up on guys like Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon. They present opinions backed by specific medical studies and debunk a lot of the silliness out there like caloric deficits don't result in weight loss or eating a million meals a day or eating "clean" or paleo or whatever. A lot of that stuff definitely works for some people, but there are easier and more enjoyable ways to do it too.

I can't speak to the other things you brought up, but Paleo certainly isn't silly. I have seen it work with my own eyes (ex-wife got a six-pack without changing her exercise habits) and there is good research behind it. Mr McDonald and Aragon don't have a monopoly on what is "right" regardless of what you think.

Like any internet discussion about dieting (or anything for that matter), there's a lot of misinformation here. The simplest advice is probably best. Calories in < calories out = weight loss. At the same time it needs to be something to which you can adhere.

If you really want to learn something about nutrition, read up on guys like Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon. They present opinions backed by specific medical studies and debunk a lot of the silliness out there like caloric deficits don't result in weight loss or eating a million meals a day or eating "clean" or paleo or whatever. A lot of that stuff definitely works for some people, but there are easier and more enjoyable ways to do it too.

The "simplest advice" that has been considered "best" is probably not the best advice at all. It has been shown that people can store fat on as little as 500 calories per day. Research has looked at some Indian populations that are undernourished, malnourished and are overweight or obese. The whole theory of thermodynamics (calories in, calories out) doesn't work anymore.

And Richard, you seem to contradict yourself by giving the "simplest advice". But in the next paragraph you talk about Lyle and Alan and how they "...debunk a lot of the silliness out there like caloric deficits don't result in weight loss..."

Even the studies comparing low carb to low fat seemed to be biased towards the low fat end. Even though there are better changes in the body with a low/lower-carb diet.

If you want some real research to look at, I would check out The Nutrition and Metabolism Society's page.

www.nmsociety.org

Paleo definitely does have its benefits, and so does low-carb. They don't just work for some, they work for many, many people.

And yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there, and I'm hoping to set some of it straight. I hope people take the time to check out, read, listen and watch many of the links I've posted in this topic.

Edited by emtbill

Crossfit is where it is at. I wish I had known of it when I was marching. it would have been the great strength training for drum corps. It is functional strength. Would have made that euphonium much easier to handle! The results start happening immediately. In my first week of crossfit my clean and jerk went from 70lbs to 95 lbs (10 reps). You get results so quickly that it gets you hyped up to keep on going with it.

Love love LOVE it!

Having active hobbies helps, too. You burn calories in every little thing you do. Yardwork is technically exercise. Cleaning your house. Doing laundry.

I don't have a lot of stationary hobbies. Brazilian jiu-jitsu, MMA, and running replace most of my TV and computer time.

I never want a desk job. It would be hard to sit still all day. I love being a teacher. I am always up and moving. (in the AC :-D)

Crossfit is where it is at. I wish I had known of it when I was marching. it would have been the great strength training for drum corps. It is functional strength. Would have made that euphonium much easier to handle! The results start happening immediately. In my first week of crossfit my clean and jerk went from 70lbs to 95 lbs (10 reps). You get results so quickly that it gets you hyped up to keep on going with it.

Love love LOVE it!

Having active hobbies helps, too. You burn calories in every little thing you do. Yardwork is technically exercise. Cleaning your house. Doing laundry.

I don't have a lot of stationary hobbies. Brazilian jiu-jitsu, MMA, and running replace most of my TV and computer time.

I never want a desk job. It would be hard to sit still all day. I love being a teacher. I am always up and moving. (in the AC :-D)

The "simplest advice" that has been considered "best" is probably not the best advice at all. It has been shown that people can store fat on as little as 500 calories per day. Research has looked at some Indian populations that are undernourished, malnourished and are overweight or obese. The whole theory of thermodynamics (calories in, calories out) doesn't work anymore.

That's not possible. The situation you describe is a scientific miracle. Why did no fat people come out of concentration camps? How do people starve to death? You've solved world hunger if you can explain how someone can create mass out of nothing.

Stuff like paleo and low-carb works because it subconsciously limits your calories. I've gotten a six pack eating sugary cereal within the limits of my macronutrient ratios. It's about how much you eat, not necessarily what.

And I'm also about 35 pounds lighter than when I aged out.

Bottom line, the diet to which you can adhere is the best one. As long as you're somehow in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

That's not possible. The situation you describe is a scientific miracle. Why did no fat people come out of concentration camps? How do people starve to death? You've solved world hunger if you can explain how someone can create mass out of nothing.

Stuff like paleo and low-carb works because it subconsciously limits your calories. I've gotten a six pack eating sugary cereal within the limits of my macronutrient ratios. It's about how much you eat, not necessarily what.

And I'm also about 35 pounds lighter than when I aged out.

Bottom line, the diet to which you can adhere is the best one. As long as you're somehow in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

Almost made me wonder if some people were confusing pics of kids with Kwashiorkor's syndrome as being obese? Who knows... Either way, people aren't going to add net body mass (be it fat, protein, whatever) if their caloric intake is less than caloric expenditure.

Have conversations while you eat. Follow your folks advice and do not talk with food in your mouth.

Eat slowly and chew well. :tongue:

Try to leave a bit of food on your plate.

Exercise regularly. Oddly, this can be fun. Simply find an all-age corps and join it. Too old for that? Find an alumni corps near you.

After all, this is a drum corps board.

:blink:

Have conversations while you eat. Follow your folks advice and do not talk with food in your mouth.

Eat slowly and chew well. :ph34r:

Try to leave a bit of food on your plate.

Exercise regularly. Oddly, this can be fun. Simply find an all-age corps and join it. Too old for that? Find an alumni corps near you.

After all, this is a drum corps board.

:tongue:

I always wondered what would happen if gyms started offering "drum corps" fitness classes. An hour of varying between high mark time and low mark time with horns (weights) up and down, with 20 pushups every 5 minutes.

I think I'd be the only one in there....