If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because polls mean sooooo much :tongue:

It can be your line, that's fine. The point is that we are losing "real" fans (whatever that means) to reasons much more important than WW's, and the corps are just trying new things to bring in new people.

the problem is, they'd lose more than they'd gain

I did it because there was no other option, but if I had the option to play my saxophone in drum corps, of course I would have done that, mostly because I am infinitely better at that than euphonium.

Your other analogies are only related to drum corps on the most superficial level. To me, the important aspects of drum corps and what I got out of drum corps had nothing to do with the piece of metal I held for two summers. It's much deeper than that, and I think it's very easy to lose that side of the activity.

you don't think you get a lot out of any of the sports they mentioned other than just the game and the rules?

So, if DCI lost 68% of the 12,000 people who attended finals, that means 8,000 people who would have showed up if there were no woodwoods, didn't . So the question is can the additon of woodwinds not only make up that thos 8,000 people but add more butts in the stands on top of that...... I think not.

Sure, but why does it HAVE to be unique to drum corps?

every genre has it's own unique benefits. you dont go to see a slasher movie to get the same thing you do from an oscar Winner.

I go to baseball to see baseball. I dont go expecting an opera.

I go to drum corps to see drum corps.....a brass and percussion activity with movement and color guard. I have hundreds of band shows close by...i dont go to them unless I'm being paid to. And trust me, I was at a band show this past weekend, and if you take out moms, dads, brothers, sisters etc, the amount of people there just to see a band show....well in a crowd of about 2000, I'd say you had maybe 15.

so please tell me how band is going to drag in that many more people. After all, we've been told electronics would, and yet we see no evidence of that at all.

every genre has it's own unique benefits. you dont go to see a slasher movie to get the same thing you do from an oscar Winner.

I go to baseball to see baseball. I dont go expecting an opera.

I go to drum corps to see drum corps.....a brass and percussion activity with movement and color guard. I have hundreds of band shows close by...i dont go to them unless I'm being paid to. And trust me, I was at a band show this past weekend, and if you take out moms, dads, brothers, sisters etc, the amount of people there just to see a band show....well in a crowd of about 2000, I'd say you had maybe 15.

so please tell me how band is going to drag in that many more people. After all, we've been told electronics would, and yet we see no evidence of that at all.

You're missing my point. Isn't a good experience a good experience, regardless if it shares some of the admirable qualities of another activity?

On the electronics thing, I don't care if it brings more people to the shows. It's not my problem. My only desire with drum corps is to enjoy the shows and the work of the corps.

Edited by WOOHOO

You're missing my point. Isn't a good experience a good experience, regardless if it shares some of the admirable qualities of another activity?

On the electronics thing, I don't care if it brings more people to the shows. It's not my problem. My only desire with drum corps is to enjoy the shows and the work of the corps.

so then by your logic, football should use hockey pucks, brass bands should allow woodwinds and the Cavaliers should allow women. why have any limits on anything, or any rules. let's make the world one big free for all.

Isn't a good experience a good experience, regardless if it shares some of the admirable qualities of another activity?

. . .not if you believe the inherent difference in drum corps and another activity helps define the experience, especially if it's a good one.

(note I said "helped" not "wholly defines"; I get your point that there are other things about drum corps that you get out of it that are instrumentation neutral . . .I don't think you'll find anyone that will argue that with you, anyway).