Minicorps Recap

,..................nowhere else to go with the numbers, especially if other corps are near 100, and you find a corps before you that is simply much better,...........

Given how hard we all work to put competitive units out on stage every year, would it really be that big of a deal to require that the judges produce tapes for each of the corps? :thumbdown:

As it stands now, every corps receives a score sheet from each judge with a few vague and oft times illegible comments. Certainly nothing that can be used as a tool to formulate a cogent plan to improve the following year (or justify a score from the current year for that matter).

As performing corps, can't we band (forgive the term) together and try and get taping in place for next year? All other judged forms of drum corps competition are afforded this feedback, why not us?

I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation as to why we cannot benefit from this feedback.

I hope this initiates some dialog amongst our competing brethren and forces a change in the way that things are currently handled.

I'd love to hear from Dick or Tom on the subject.........

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

As performing corps, can't we band (forgive the term) together and try and get taping in place for next year? All other judged forms of drum corps competition are afforded this feedback, why not us?

I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation as to why we cannot benefit from this feedback.

<snip>

I think the use of taping indoors with mini corps might be distracting and even annoying.

Struta turn to the back of the sheet. The front tells you what is judged, the back tells you what is expected. DCA uses this criteria because of a request from MCA two years ago.

I hear and I do listen to creative suggestions. Tapes have been suggested but because it is a one shot deal, it is felt the judges can do better judging just listening and enjoying the efforts of the performers. Also as you probably know tapes are about to be a thing of the past. Digital is here and all the structure it takes to do digital info.

To all who performed, thankyou and I know it was said but! WOW

Judge 3 had them in 8th place.......

I guess you could say the same for Judge 1 and 2 as well.....

Judge 1 had them in 8th place

Judge 2 had them in 7th place

Pretty consistant if you ask me....

just sayin....

Yup, upon further review it does seem he was consistent. I just saw his lower point value and jumped to a flawed conclusion. I was impressed with Sine Wave and was looking to understand their placement. Obviously there must have been some great shows after them.

It appears that once again the entire filed took another step forward in terms of quality and performance level.

Yep -- they were consistent in the placements. Judge #3 just had bigger spreads.

Where the judges clearly disagreed were the Golden Eagles -- 6th, 6th and 3rd.

Believe me....I am just as shocked as everyone else on this!

Judge #3 was a percussion judge, that much I do know. Not that he judged percussion in this competition(because there is no percussion caption), but his normal duties for DCA is as a percussion judge.

I do not know what his name was because I could not read it on the sheets.

Judge #1 and #2 are DCA Brass Judges....both of whom had the Golden Eagles in 6th, and both of whom I respect the heck out of!!!! I agreed with ALL of the judges comments (whatever I could read on the sheets), and would not have had a problem wherever we placed. Judge #3 was our savior!!! :thumbdown:

Struta turn to the back of the sheet. The front tells you what is judged, the back tells you what is expected. DCA uses this criteria because of a request from MCA two years ago.

I hear and I do listen to creative suggestions. Tapes have been suggested but because it is a one shot deal, it is felt the judges can do better judging just listening and enjoying the efforts of the performers. Also as you probably know tapes are about to be a thing of the past. Digital is here and all the structure it takes to do digital info.

Here is a solution Dick......at 1 or 2 of the DCA sanctioned shows over the summer, have a mini corps portion, have tapes prepared for the mini corps, let the mini corps go into critique so they can get a true evaluation of their show going into championships!!

Couldn't hurt....

Edited by FPonzo

Here is a solution Dick......at 1 or 2 of the DCA sanctioned shows over the summer, have a mini corps portion, have tapes prepared for the mini corps, let the mini corps go into critique so they can get a true evaluation of their show going into championships!!

Couldn't hurt....

...except only about half the mini corps that make it to Rochester are in involved with or attending DCA shows...

...except only about half the mini corps that make it to Rochester are in involved with or attending DCA shows...

With the amount of DCA sanctioned shows now in the midwest, south and west, I still do not see a problem.... :thumbdown:

Edited by FPonzo

Dick, we certainly do appreciate the opportunity to perform in front of such a great crowd and it is the highlight of our Mini Corps season. Thank you for all of the hard work that you and your team do to pull off a great show each and every year. :thumbdown:

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse on this recording issue, but we all want to be the best that we can be.

I fail to see the difference between competing field Corps and competing Mini Corps on this topic - don't judges still produce recordings of the DCA Finals even though it's the last show of the season (effectively a one shot deal as you stated)?

With all respect Dick, I have to imagine that there would be a significant outcry from competing field corps if the decision were made to eliminate recordings or critiques from their performances.

Many of us performed in a Mini-Corps show in Albany NY in 2008, and each of the three judges submitted tapes of their comments. (In fact, one of the judges from last Friday night also adjudicated the show in Albany).

Each individual recording from that show was useful, and collectively even more so. The scoring of the contest was unaffected, yet the recordings added context and detail to the score sheets that would otherwise be missing.

I know that Mini Corps are not officially considered part of DCA at this time and that we really don't have a significant voice. I believe that we do however contribute to the enjoyment of many folks on Friday night and we wish to continue to push the development and performance level of our activity. Critique recordings are one method of helping to achieve this pursuit and they are the norm, not the exception in all other segments of this activity.

Thanks for listening....

For those who weren't aware, DCA is selling DVDs of the mini-corps performances as well as the regular corps.

Edited by Michael Boo