If DCI were to create a woodwinds division...

Cadets Marching Band  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI created a woodwinds division, where do Cadets go?

• Stays Brass-only, no winds group.
    • Stays Brass-only, creates separate winds group.
    • C-ya later, Cadets Marching Band, here we come!
    • Other...explain below (this should be entertaining!).

So. Let's assume that woodwinds are inevitable. WHEN DCI allows woodwinds, how about if they created a separate woodwinds DIVISION instead of flat out requiring everyone to leave Pioneer in the dust and ADD woodwinds?

Which division does Cadets go to? BD? Phantom? Others? Obviously, the woodwinds proposals being pushed by one person in particular, I am singling out Cadets on this one. But it would cause each corps to consider for itself, would it not? Does Hop create an ensemble specifically for the woodwinds division and leave Cadets brass only? Does a "marching band" division spur new groups to be fielded? I mean, I could possibly see a school district like Katy outside of Houston putting together ONE group district-wide and entering it in the new division. Possible way to get public schools participating widespread...who knows?

Thoughts? On Cadets, specifically. Or waffles in general.

Personally, I would HOPE that Hop would leave Cadets alone. Create a marching band group. Shoot. Fill it up with folks who audition for Cadets first and don't make the corps. Plus anyone who plays a woodwind instrument. Sort of a quasi-cadet Cadets, so to speak. Hopefully. I put nothing beyond Hop at this point. I think he's gotten bored. Beware a progressive with an agenda and a bored guy with a microphone...or powerpoint. :dontgetit:

Not only will the Cadets march with woodwind, if this passes - they will probably be the first to march with woodwinds. Heck, not only will they be the first to try this - they'll probably start holding auditions immediately afterwards.

And of course, the real question is this: will member limits increase as well, if that happens? Presently, they are set at 150. Undoubtedly, if WWs are added, there will be a corresponding push to expand member limits, so that the size of the other sections are not decreased as well. I predict that they will expand to at least 175 at the start, and we end up with 200 eventually.

I predict that several hundred WW musicians will show up for the Cadets first tryout. This, of course, will be much more than the number that make the final cut. Cadets will bank the extra membership and camp fees from these marchers. This is what this proposal is all about, folks, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Before you accuse me of being another Hopkins hater, I do not hate the man. I respect and admire what he has accomplished professionally. I simply disagree with him completely, with the direction that he, and his cohorts in the G7, are taking this activity.

they would march woodwinds for a couple years, until that division dies, and then come back to brass only...if there is a brass only to come back to, that is...

Edited by skewerz

they would march woodwinds for a couple years, until that division dies, and then come back to brass only...if there is a brass only to come back to, that is...

I used to hate the idea of woodwinds in dci with a passion. Like many, I loved the big brass sound that only corps had and didn't want any marching band influence. Now, I've changed my mind. Drum corps is going nowhere and comes up with zero new ideas. If you think there's a new idea at a dci show, it's more than likely that it was first done at a BOA or WGI show.

The top BOA bands are impressive, but they're still dirty both musically and visually when compared to corps. But they are able to get sounds a timbres that corps can't get with the current rules. Imagine what it would be like to take a show like Avon's or LD Bell's and perform it at the level that corps are capable of. People hear the idea of woodwinds in dci and immediately think that it's going to be like bad marching band. That would not be the case with the top corps.

I understand the history of drum corps and respect the opinion of those who don't want woodwinds allowed. That's why I think there should be both woodwind and non-woodwind classes. If one of the classes fails after a few years, you can always change back. I'd just like to see what it would be like for once.

I used to hate the idea of woodwinds in dci with a passion. Like many, I loved the big brass sound that only corps had and didn't want any marching band influence. Now, I've changed my mind. Drum corps is going nowhere and comes up with zero new ideas. If you think there's a new idea at a dci show, it's more than likely that it was first done at a BOA or WGI show.

The top BOA bands are impressive, but they're still dirty both musically and visually when compared to corps. But they are able to get sounds a timbres that corps can't get with the current rules. Imagine what it would be like to take a show like Avon's or LD Bell's and perform it at the level that corps are capable of. People hear the idea of woodwinds in dci and immediately think that it's going to be like bad marching band. That would not be the case with the top corps.

I understand the history of drum corps and respect the opinion of those who don't want woodwinds allowed. That's why I think there should be both woodwind and non-woodwind classes. If one of the classes fails after a few years, you can always change back. I'd just like to see what it would be like for once.

If I want to hear those sounds and timbres that corps can't get, ya know what I'd do? I'd go watch BoA...

they could come back...provided dci still existed...and I'm not quite sure that it would.

other.

because he wont jump at first. when amps and vocals first came in, yeah he amped, but he didnt go full bore with the vocals til the following year...let others take the heat. same with synths and samples and stuff....he was more subdued in year one than in year 2.

Again, if I really believed that this proposal was about improving the sound performance of drum corps, I would consider it. I don't necessarily think that adding these additional timbres to drum corps would really improve it. I actually think that the current brass/percussion sound of drum corps is just fine, thank you.

Again, this proposal is not about sound. It is about color, specifically this color:

Money.jpg

Now, I've changed my mind. Drum corps is going nowhere and comes up with zero new ideas. If you think there's a new idea at a dci show, it's more than likely that it was first done at a BOA or WGI show.

Copying the instrumentation from BOA is not going to make DCI more unique.

In any case, I don't really care if DCI shows contain "new ideas". I just want to see good drum corps. Part of that is the sound of all brass and percussion. We're already moving away from that sound with amps and synths, but so long as there are still 70+ horns down there, you're going to get great moments. I'd rather not add a bunch of saxes and piccolos to the mix, as well to dilute the experience. Yeah, it can sound nice, but it's not the sound of drum corps. Sorta like if there was a brass quintet competition circuit and you wanted to change the rules to allow pianos and clarinets. Sure there are all sorts of new sounds you could make, but it kinda defeats the point.