Mini Corps Rules?

Kansan

I'm looking for the Mini Corps Rules. Right now I'm looking for the music time requirement and the number of people needed for Mini corps.

I know there can be 21 performers with 1 Drum Major.

I'm looking at getting a group of 15 Brass, 2 Drummers, 4 Color Guard and 1 Drum Major together for Rochester 2011.

Looking for your knowledge.

Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for the Mini Corps Rules. Right now I'm looking for the music time requirement and the number of people needed for Mini corps.

I know there can be 21 performers with 1 Drum Major.

I'm looking at getting a group of 15 Brass, 2 Drummers, 4 Color Guard and 1 Drum Major together for Rochester 2011.

Looking for your knowledge.

Thanks.

Here are the excerpts from the 2010 I&E Rules:

"GENERAL RULES AND PHILOSOPHY

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

2. Judging will be looking for the technical ability in each performance although effectiveness will be considered.

3. Rules will be used to assure a fair competition, but they will be interpreted to allow competitors artistic freedom.

4. One point will be assessed for every rule infraction.

5. Scheduling will be done allowing for the best possible evening entertainment with consideration given to competitors who are entered in multiple categories.

6. DCA Caption Chiefs will decide any rules not specifically stated.

7. In fairness to all competitors warm ups will ONLY be allowed in the designated areas.

8. In order to be eligible for an I & E medal there must be more than one (1) entry in a category.

9. All entry forms and fees must be received by the published registration end date in order to participate in the I & E. NO late entries will be accepted.

10. ** Only DCA approved Brass/Percussion instruments will be allowed at I&E.

All other instruments will be disqualified. This includes taped Music**

11. The philosophy behind the Brass and Percussion contest leans to musicality; visual maybe considered and rewarded on the Effect part of the score sheets. ***** "

AND

"MINI CORPS

1. A Mini Corps is defined as a minimum of 11 participants and a maximum of 21 participants.

2. If a Drum Major is used, he/she is not counted as one of the 21 participants. He/She may not play an instrument unless the total number remains at 21.

3. There will be a one (1) point penalty for each participant under 11. No Corps allowed with over 21.

4. Any combination of DCA approved horns, percussion instruments and guard equipment may be used.

5. The time limit is 5 minutes minimum and 10 minutes maximum.

6. There will be a one (1) point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.

7. Time starts from the first note and ends with the last note.

8. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.

9. NO tape music is allowed.

10. An “A FLAG” section (honor guard) may be used and not counted as part of the 21. However if any member leaves the “A Flag” section to perform, he/she will be counted as a participant and included in the total numbers of performers, which shall not exceed 21.

11. A Performance Agreement document must be completed and signed for each participating Mini Corps. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by a Performance Agreement submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

12. A Mini Corps must present proof of a one (1) million dollar liability insurance policy, under which Drum Corps Associates is identified as an additional insured. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by an insurance policy submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

13. A Mini Corps must provide proof of music clearance.

NOTE: The contest area for Mini Corps in 2010 will be a stage 40’ by 50’."

Rules typically don't change much from year to year, so these should be fairly solid as you design your show.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the game! :tongue:

Paul

Here are the excerpts from the 2010 I&E Rules:

"GENERAL RULES AND PHILOSOPHY

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

I think the first rule is loosely interpreted for mini-corps, which is good, because it doesn't make a lot of sense!

Otherwise....

-- alumni of defunct senior corps could participate

-- alumni of DCI could not

-- members of alumni corps that no longer exist or only existed for one season would not qualify

What is the unifying philosophy of that? A weird mish-mash, when, if anything, DCA should be promoting inclusiveness.

In any event, Sine Wave participated with no problems, and we had

14 Cavaliers alumni (all had been in the CAC in '08, however)

+ 6 others

Only one, to my knowledge, ever marched in a DCA competitive corps (Kilties), and only one was an active member of a current alumni corps (Cabs).

DCA had the good sense not to enforce this strictly! (or maybe the I&E rules don't apply)

Edited by funcorpsagain

I think the first rule is loosely interpreted for mini-corps, which is good, because it doesn't make a lot of sense!

Otherwise....

-- alumni of defunct senior corps could participate

-- alumni of DCI could not

-- members of alumni corps that no longer exist or only existed for one season would not qualify

What is the unifying philosophy of that? A weird mish-mash, when, if anything, DCA should be promoting inclusiveness.

In any event, Sine Wave participated with no problems, and we had

14 Cavaliers alumni (all had been in the CAC in '08, however)

+ 6 others

Only one, to my knowledge, ever marched in a DCA competitive corps (Kilties), and only one was an active member of a current alumni corps (Cabs).

DCA had the good sense not to enforce this strictly! (or maybe the I&E rules don't apply)

nope... you miss the point... we don't have to ignore or loosely interpret any rule... a blue devils mini corps made up of kids from the current corps would not qualify... a blue devils alumni mini corps would qualify... besides... many mini corps once established are corps unto themselves like Mass Brass... the rules work... they are rules of inclusion not exclusion but will still stop a junior corps from coming over and playing on our side of the street or more accurately playing on both sides of the street at the same time.

nope... you miss the point... we don't have to ignore or loosely interpret any rule... a blue devils mini corps made up of kids from the current corps would not qualify... a blue devils alumni mini corps would qualify... besides... many mini corps once established are corps unto themselves like Mass Brass... the rules work... they are rules of inclusion not exclusion but will still stop a junior corps from coming over and playing on our side of the street or more accurately playing on both sides of the street at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying.

It's the "all contestants" part that seems to exclude a large number of our members. But, in keeping with the spirit of the rule, the minicorps is, itself, an alumni corps!

but wasn't there a group of guys from a firemens band from the hilton, ny area recently told they would not qualify, even tho many of their members were former grey knights or crusaders?,...........they could have made up a name too.........I somewhat agree that this rule is loosely interpretted or at a minimum worded in a way that misses your point...................which by the way I agree with,.............

but wasn't there a group of guys from a firemens band from the hilton, ny area recently told they would not qualify, even tho many of their members were former grey knights or crusaders?,...........they could have made up a name too.........I somewhat agree that this rule is loosely interpretted or at a minimum worded in a way that misses your point...................which by the way I agree with,.............

HUH???

wasn't that the actual fireman's band wanting to compete...??? bottom line... Pronti will make the correct decision and won't eliminate someone unless they are not a drum corps or were a junior corps in the last 12 months...

I cannot but openly wonder if this 'affiliation' rule is wise. Minicorps seems like a a great way for a group to get started. It's reasonable cost and performance requirements seems like a far easier hump to get over then the current class A minimums. Here is where inclusion could go a ways toward growing DCA and the All Age movement in general. Maybe this is one area where Minicorps may be outgrowing it's I&E roots. Not that I am trying to incite a revolution or anything.

Thanks Mr.Pronti and crew for another wonderful evening of Minicorps. It seems like it all went great and it was a blast to perform for the large audience.

I can't see how it could be more inclusive, without allowing DCI groups to compete. Sine Wave is reguarded as an Alumni Corps. It makes no difference where their members came from. The day someone puts on a Sine Wave uniform he is a memebr of and "all age corps"

This comes up every year, I have only refused one entry, a Corps who was trying to build as a DCI Corps wasn't ready and wanted to do our Mini Show for a place to go. The Mini Contest grew from ensembles. Corps were using Friday night to do exhibitions at championships. We had no way to prevent this or accomodate thie. Thus came the Mni Corps idea and rules

Plese remember DCA has no Mini Corps Class, I repeat there is no Mini Corps Class in DCA. Mini Corps are one entry category in the DCA I&E contest.

I am redoing some of the rules this year and some sheets will have some changes. If you have an idea, write to me at Rap48@aol.com.

Edited by Rap48