Soloist Stories or Nightmares!

The two incidents I remember came from listening to the Finals records before I marched. The first was either the '75 or '76 recording of The Kilties. There were 3 soloists who played each note of a major triad at the end of Auld Lang Syne. The guy who played the middle note...well...he completely missed it. Then he continued to try to no avail. I have felt bad for that guy for 30 years. The other was from Garfield's '76 prelim performance of Echano. One of the baritone players played an incredibly loud note during a rest at the end of the tune. This one, I'm embarassed to say, completely cracks me up.

1975 was the year the year you were thinking of regarding the Kilties. The video was pretty revealing. Person#2 was really cranked up - maybe too cranked up - in the moments before the Big Frack. Sadly, Fat Tom didn't play the high note in tune, either, but it wasn't the disaster of that middle note.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show with the Sunrisers in 1975, right after returning from overseas, I was feeling a little nervous after 4+ years out of the activity. As I began playing a long solo of My Man's Gone Now from Porgy and Bess, the front of the field at East Haven HS went on fire, then the lights on the field went off, then the corps which was playing a refrain started to phase from side to side by as much as 2 counts so I had to pick a side to come in with. Brutal.

Next season at Providence, my rotor came apart on the first note of Procession of the Nobles. I had to track down young Georgie Smith (RIP) in the drill and tell him he had to play the solo in Spain. Only time we beat Hawthorne all season, took high brass, and I couldn't pay a single note that required a rotary.

Might tell you where the horn line's weakness was.

Sorry for getting to this one so late....

Remembering disasters like that show in 75 I must admit I was wondering (after that show) if I should have just retired and not joined....LOL

(75 was our Rookie season with the Sunrisers for Donna and I and we had a 3 hr drive from Poughkeepsie to LI...)

You guys coming to the Sun Reunion Ensemble in November (when it kicks off)???

You know you want to.

Plus you can announce us and spare us Andy or Cupcakes.

November 6th, noon to 3PM at the Bishop Ford High School....

For all of the details contact Jack McGuinness. (Email to all SunAlums coming out soon!)

Tony ;-)

SunAlumPR

C'mon Fran... step into the light... follow the voices... you know you want to... feel the force...

Might not be the force he's concerned with but the "French" (horn) :laughing:

MY shorts incidents involved them being pull off of my bod UPWARDS....I got 3 snuggies that year (I think I still hold the record)

There was a guy in 1981 who has you beat... I will leave him nameless as not to add to his embarrassment! But he had a minimum of 5 and he never figured out he needed to invest in tighty whiteys... Those silk undies cut him up pretty badly.

There was a guy in 1981 who has you beat... I will leave him nameless as not to add to his embarrassment! But he had a minimum of 5 and he never figured out he needed to invest in tighty whiteys... Those silk undies cut him up pretty badly.

FIVE????

Wow! I don't feel so bad now!

#1 I got just because I was a rookie....#2 was a birthday one (at camp at Atwater HS...I got pounced on LITERALLY as the alarm clocks hit midnight), and #3 I definitely earned (interrupted Mike Moxley during a post-show speech on tour in Utah)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think anyone in the Cavaliers wants to talk about the sop solo in concert in 78. The first time we heard the soloist play it was in Lexington (i.e. Bluegrass Nationals?) and he NAILED it. DCI Prelims ... I REALLY don't know WHAT he was thinking!

What solo? That year never existed ;)