Open Class Championships

Since there is nothing specific on DCI.org about the new format on Tuesday, just what is the plan for the so called Open Class Championships besides seeding for Thursday's Prelims. Is there going to be just one show or a morning prelims and an evening finals. How can you be Open Class finalist with no finals or will there not be any finalist, just placements and medals for the top three? :laughing:

The way I understand it, there's just going to be one show for Open Class, and the top 3 get a medal. And the all of the Open Class corps have the option to compete in World Class Prelims, and then they'll advance if they place high enough.

As I've said before, it's riduculous that there is only 1 round instead of a prelims and finals for Open Class.

It will be interestingn to see if the tour schedule will have all the corps compete against each other at least once before the championship show or if some of the corps will only get one shot against each other.

There needs to be someway for corps to signify they were finalist! Let hope for the best!

As I've said before, it's riduculous that there is only 1 round instead of a prelims and finals for Open Class.

I actually thought it was ridiculous to have open class quarter, semi and finals competitions in the first place. There weren't a lot of placement changes after quarters anyway.

I actually thought it was ridiculous to have open class quarter, semi and finals competitions in the first place. There weren't a lot of placement changes after quarters anyway.

Edited by tnmaiello

Not enough corps anymore for multi-level championships. At least this formats gives all corps the chance to compete in front of the larger crowds without fully doing away with the Open Class placements.

It's something new to try

Agree, but a prelims/finals format should remain.

It might even be a good idea for DCI to establish a standard percentage that dictates the number of corps that would advance. This way, regardless of the number of participants in a class, the number of advancing corps would adjust based on the total number of corps in prelims.