Open Class Championships

Agree, but a prelims/finals format should remain.

It might even be a good idea for DCI to establish a standard percentage that dictates the number of corps that would advance. This way, regardless of the number of participants in a class, the number of advancing corps would adjust based on the total number of corps in prelims.

I did some research to find out the year when OC went to the 12 Corps Final format. The date that I found was 2004 so this format is only 6 years old. Before 2004 the number of Corps that made finals was between 5 and 7 Corps.

I agree, there should be a prelims/finals format with only 5 or 7 Corps to advance not 12.

Dean

Dean,

The number of finalists was always 12. Back before 2004 there were two divisions, and for many years it was 5 II and 7 III in finals. There were other configurations as well, but as far as I remember, Finals were always 12 corps for the non World/Division I Corps.

Let's hope many more corps get off the ground the next few years and thrive! As well as bringing back some of the recently lost faces that are trying to return to the activity.

I actually thought it was ridiculous to have open class quarter, semi and finals competitions in the first place. There weren't a lot of placement changes after quarters anyway.

:tongue::tongue:

The number of finalists was always 12. Back before 2004 there were two divisions, and for many years it was 5 II and 7 III in finals. There were other configurations as well, but as far as I remember, Finals were always 12 corps for the non World/Division I Corps.

The configurations were based on which division had more corps. Since there were many more Division III corps than Division II corps, that division got to send more corps to Finals. Had it been reversed, Division II would have had more corps in Finals.

The configurations were based on which division had more corps. Since there were many more Division III corps than Division II corps, that division got to send more corps to Finals. Had it been reversed, Division II would have had more corps in Finals.

Correct.

In 2002, it changed to top 3 in Div II, top 3 in DIV III and the next 6 highest scores. Changed in 2003 using same format for finals, just added Semis. 2005 they tried the goofy Prelims, Finals, Grand Finals format and in 2006 it went back to the way it was with slight variations and in 2008 they merged the two divisions.

I believe in 2004 or 2005 they also changed the membership size to determine division. I think it was 59 and below DIV III, 60-75 got to choose division, 76 and up DIV II.

And it was is 2002, they added the 30 minimum rule.

Alot has changed in the last ten years in this division. Not saying that I don't care, but I've just learn to just go with it. I figure there have to be a VERY good reason for cutting the two Open Class shows. I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the cost of stadium rental. I have my own guesses at why I think they did it, but I'm sure they'll give us a reason in due time.

Edited by MelloHorn13

The number of finalists was always 12.

Well, not always....it fluctuated from 10 to 12 in the early years, and dropped to eight in 1984. Starting in 1985, though, the championship finals for class A/A-60, division II/III, and what we now call open-class was set at 12 corps.

Dean,

Let's hope many more corps get off the ground the next few years and thrive! As well as bringing back some of the recently lost faces that are trying to return to the activity.

Thank you for correcting my mistake. What I was doing was counting the Corps in the same Div. For example when the Glassmen made Class A finals in 1975 only 5 Class A Corps made finals. However there were 5 All Girl Corps who made finals also. So I counted only 5 Corps. When I should of counted 10.

Dean