Drum corps background checks

Jeff: You and I do not know each other, but I am positive that we had the same types of rumor mills going on back when we were in middle school or high school. In my middle school, there was a hot female math teacher that every adolescent boy dreamed about and the rumor was that she had accommodated a few boys (I knew it was not true because her son was one of my close friends, but there was 'the rumor' nonetheless). In high school, there was a male social studies teacher that had a lisp, he was rumored to also like boys (again, not true, but a viscous rumor nonetheless). Rumors are smoke screens created by figurative smoke machines and fanned throughout the school (or corps) by either kids thinking it is funny, kids wishing it were true, or by kids who do not like the person. Formal accusations, however, should be dealt with quickly to see if there is any truth and punish the adult, or found to be false and punish the accuser. As for rumors, those spreading rumors should be told to either formally make an accusation or face consequences of spreading false rumors. Yes, I am an advocate of protecting kids; and those scum buckets out there deserve all of the wrath we can place on them on earth. Nevertheless, because of the paranoia of today's society believing that if there is even fabricated smoke (rumor) there 'has' to be fire (truth), more wonderful innocent adults today are being labeled with the stigma based off of mere rumor.

During downtime at full field practise we'd play a game called pass the sentence on (don't google this svp; ya had to be there) At one end of the lineup someone would say a sentence and whisper in the other's ear. By the time the last person said the sentence, it was perfectly unclear. Cured us of the rumour mill syndrome. I wouldn't bother googling this either, it's definitely passe, however, taking care of kids and their mentors is important! There's been alot of right. Let's focus on the positive, the bad apple can rot.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic