The next big innovation on the drum corps field

John, from what you witnessed, does it look as hard in person to maintain balance as it seems to me from viewing the videos? I can't imagine myself pulling that off. Or, are there tiny little transparent training wheels we can't see in the videos?

No training wheels, Mike. Just very skilled bike riders and musicians.

Most-impressive were the sax and trombone players ... who used modified extended handle-bars and instrument 'bridges' to allow them to ride / navigate and play, simultaneously.

The focus is poor - but here's a shot from that evening in July 2005 in Kerkrade. Also make note of the wooden shoes they're riding with:

DSC_3834.JPG

The crowd loved them ALMOST as much as they did the performance that evening by the Blue Devils ....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My groan was addressing your puns. I didn't mean for the thread to shift gears and send it coasting downhill. These threads sometimes follow a certain chain of thought, pedaling all over the road and sometimes getting flat tires. I'll try to keep things pumped up.

good point, Michael. Nobody wants to have things go spiraling out of control. Things get real where the rubber meets the road, so'll well need to maintain our firm grip on things and know when to hit the brakes.

No training wheels, Mike. Just very skilled bike riders and musicians.

Most-impressive were the sax and trombone players ... who used modified extended handle-bars and instrument 'bridges' to allow them to ride / navigate and play, simultaneously.

The focus is poor - but here's a shot from that evening in July 2005 in Kerkrade. Also make note of the wooden shoes they're riding with:

DSC_3834.JPG

The crowd loved them ALMOST as much as they did the performance that evening by the Blue Devils ....

ya sure, but I'd like to see them do this with mirrors. Bet they can't do THAT.

Isn't it just a matter of time?

It's just the natural evolution of things.

From music bars to handle bars.

Bicycle bands in parades will eventually evolve into bands in parades on flatbed trucks... ( or do we already have that ? )

Edited by BRASSO

Isn't it just a matter of time? (I hope this isn't technically a violation of the YouTube rule.)

When I went to Europe with BD 5 years ago we saw them in Kerkrade. I have a video of them on the Blue Devils Mediabox. These guys ROCK!

good point, Michael. Nobody wants to have things go spiraling out of control. Things get real where the rubber meets the road, so'll well need to maintain our firm grip on things and know when to hit the brakes.

Or we can just coast along and see if the whole idea tips over from a lack of momentum.

When I went to Europe with BD 5 years ago we saw them in Kerkrade. I have a video of them on the Blue Devils Mediabox. These guys ROCK!

With no helmuts worn, riding in close proximity with no hands, playing a musical instrument while pedaling, etc would a Insurance Company here in the US cover a US bicycle band such as these ?

My guess.... fahgetttaboutitt.

Edited by BRASSO

Or we can just coast along and see if the whole idea tips over from a lack of momentum.

I have to admit that it's been refeshing to see that the discourse on this particular thread has been civil.

Nobody has shouted out.... " Bike Me !! "

I have to admit that it's been refeshing to see that the discourse on this particular thread has been civil.

Nobody has shouted out.... " Bike Me !! "

Well, the week is still young.

That is pretty impressive!

I've always dreamed of having Drum Corps on Ice.

You could have the same amazing drill, but for that extra high

GE score, you could have triple axels!

DCI on Ice would be pretty cool, except the direction changes would be a #####, haha....