The next big innovation on the drum corps field

My groan was addressing your puns. I didn't mean for the thread to shift gears and send it coasting downhill. These threads sometimes follow a certain chain of thought, pedaling all over the road and sometimes getting flat tires. I'll try to keep things pumped up.

Puns? What puns? Ooops. Guess I spoke too soon!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1977 nijkerk festival program; drum corps and bands were there. Where do you suggest I post a program photo of the cyclists with basketballs?

RAMD.

John, from what you witnessed, does it look as hard in person to maintain balance as it seems to me from viewing the videos? I can't imagine myself pulling that off. Or, are there tiny little transparent training wheels we can't see in the videos?

Yes...'called tricycles. Parents are always well advised to kick the tires before allowing their little tikes on little bikes.

I have a 1977 nijkerk festival program; drum corps and bands were there. Where do you suggest I post a program photo of the cyclists with basketballs?

I'd say either in this thread as an adjunct to musicians on bicycles or on a separate thread in the General Off-Topic forum, where non-drum corps-relating postings have a home. But, hey, why not just do it here and hope for the best? You can connect it to corps by suggesting instead of bouncing basketballs, members could bounce synthesizers. That would get a few thumbs-up.

I would like to see a "Demolition Derby" preferably using all low brass. Ten fully uniformed members from all of the World Class corps could start the affair, which would allow many corps to vent some of the animosity that has been harbored for years. Betting would also be allowed by DCI, who would take a percentage of the gate. An All-Star pit could play Bolero until the last person was able to play with an undamaged horn. Hard lemonade would be allowed just for this event, in order to get the fans in a proper mood for the cointest. If this proved to be a crowd pleaser, then perhaps bicycles could be used in further contests.

I would like to see a "Demolition Derby" preferably using all low brass. Ten fully uniformed members from all of the World Class corps could start the affair, which would allow many corps to vent some of the animosity that has been harbored for years. Betting would also be allowed by DCI, who would take a percentage of the gate. An All-Star pit could play Bolero until the last person was able to play with an undamaged horn. Hard lemonade would be allowed just for this event, in order to get the fans in a proper mood for the cointest. If this proved to be a crowd pleaser, then perhaps bicycles could be used in further contests.

This would no doubt be a brass instrument mfg's wet dream for DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

I've worked for a Dutch company and have been to Holland many times. Bicycles over there are as common as candy wrappers. If you're a motorist don't hit one because it's you're fault no matter what happened. Officially it's called The Kingdom of the Netherlands, meaning the "lowlands" (25% is below sea level) The term Holland technically refers only to the two most western provinces of North Holland and South Holland, but most people usually just call it Holland for utility purposes like the U.S. "America". Wait a minute....I'm just rambling.....I'd better get otta here. :worthy:

Edited by Piper

I've worked for a Dutch company and have been to Holland many times. Bicycles over there are as common as candy wrappers. If you're a motorist don't hit one because it's you're fault no matter what happened. Officially it's called The Kingdom of the Netherlands, meaning the "lowlands" (25% is below sea level) The term Holland technically refers only to the two most western provinces of North Holland and South Holland, but most people usually just call it Holland for utility purposes like the U.S. "America". Wait a minute....I'm just rambling.....I'd better get otta here. :smile:

Aug 5 to 8 1977, Alberta All Girls had performances in Rotterdam, Haarlem, Nijkerk, Zandvoort, Amsterdam, Ijmuiden, Scheveningen. Here’s program cover, 3 bands and a parade photo from the Nijkerk program. We, a drum corps, performed at the Nijkerk festival in 77. I posted a few of these before…rescanned today using descreen. Posting this way saves postage :worthy:

77-nijkerk1-a.jpg

77-nijkerk4-no-ds-a.jpg

77-nijkerk2.jpg

77-nijkerk3.jpg

77-nijkerk4.jpg