Crown Point

I've just made the short drive back to Chicago from Crown Point and will attempt to share a few thoughts about tonight's contest before crawling in bed.

If I had to sum up the competition in 5 words or less, I think I would say: Madison's back! The powerful show put on by the Scouts easily garnered the greatest crowd response, eliciting wave after wave of excited applause from the audience and the only spontaneous standing ovation of the night. Some measure of this favorable response may, of course, be attributed to Madison's perpetual popularity with fans; the off-season hype about the corps' resurrgence also accounts for some; however, the fact remains that the Scouts gave the audience a powerful, exciting show performed with a spark and energy lacking much of last year, and not seen from any other group competing tonight. Furthermore, though the music is by the little-known composer, Benoit Jutras, it is perfectly suited to the corps and has Madison written all over it. While I didn't recognize a single tune, the whole book sounds familiar, infused as it is with all the flavor and excitement that we associate with the Scouts -- hot jazz, Latin rhythms, wailing solos, and, above all, power. The music sets the stage for a fast-paced drill and is accented by some excellent guard work. The guys performed tonight with a confidence and enthusiasm that set them apart from the rest of the field. Spurred on by the appreciative crowd, the intensity of their performance was palpable. Once this show is cleaned, fleshed-out visually, and given time to grow, it should hold the Scouts in very good stead come August. Welcome back.

The Cavaliers had the misfortune of going on after the electrifying performance of Madison, and though Crown Point is only about an hour south of Chicago, the "hometown" corps couldn't generate the same kind of electricity in the crowd. This in no way reflects on the skill of the performers -- the complex show is capably performed by very talented marchers. The drill was, by far, the most difficult seen tonight and it was executed wtih a high degree of skill. LIkewise, the musicality exhibited by the performers is second to none, and like last year, the Cavaliers present an incredibly nuanced and controlled sound. However, what seems to be missing at this point is excitement and power. While there are isolated "wow" moments and impact points, there doesn't seem to be a central peak to which the music or show builds or climaxes. In fact, I am almost tempted to speculate that the closer remains incomplete, as it ends rather suddenly without having risen to an effective dramatic high point. Only after the drum major turned towards the audience for his final salute, did most of the crowd realize the show was over. Likewise, the visual book seems somewhat flat, though once again, there are some wonderful isolated moments in the drill and visual areas. For example, the guard spends a great deal of time without equipment, and while their dance moves are well done, they don't make a dynamic statement or provide much needed color. The show is extremely well designed, brilliantly performed, clean, subtle, nuanced, but to my eyes/ears it lacks excitement and emotion. No one can touch the Cavaliers right now, but I'm not sure another undefeated season is in the works.

The Glassmen presented an enjoyable show that has good potential to grow. As of yet it is still somewhat dirty and the drill and guard work are incomplete. There is a very nice sound from the brass and some poignantly beautiful musical moments in this show, even though the musical selections are largely unfamiliar. The Glassmen always present a clean, polished look, and this year's effort is no exception.

The Colts also impress me with their crisp look and their professional, no-nonesense approach to drum corps. This early season effort bodes well for things to come, as the show has a great deal of potential. The musical book is a good one, and I particularly enjoyed Gillingham's "Cantus Laetus." This tune, based on the medieval chant, "Veni Creator Spiritus," is powerful, dynamic and characterized by strikingly rich harmonies that show off the Colts' brass section to good effect. The jazzy strains of "Blue Sapphire" are somewhat uncharacteristic of this corps, but provide a nice change of pace, before the more traditional closer. Many of the drill sets are based on easy-to-read linear and diagonal forms which, if they can be cleaned fully, will be very effective. This was my second favorite show of the evening.

Southwind should maintain its semi-finalist position with its production of Kachaturian's "Gayne" ballet. A very powerful hornline projects the musical book well, though there were ensemble and timing problems evident tonight. There was also some muddiness from the battery, which has a tendency to overpower the brass in certain passages. However, the group exhibits an enthusiasm that makes them fun to watch.

Scenic City and Marion Glory Cadets began the night. Both corps are quite small but gave spirited performances. Scenic City has chosen music of Genesis and Phil Collins for their program and, once the young hornline masters the book and catches up to the drumline, this show should be fun to see and hear. Likewise, the choice of Prokofiev by the Cadets is a good one. The powerful, percussive music was projected nicely by equal-sized horn and drumlines. A nice, tight drill greatly aids the musical execution.

Though I spent much of the afternoon sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan Expressway on my way out of Chicago, the trip to Crown Point was definitely worth it. The weather was perfect, Crown Point a quaint Midwest town, the show efficiently run (without intermission - bravo!!), and seeing Madison back in top form made me smile.

Edited by ChicagoFan

Did you see a 6 point spread between Madison and Cavies. Based on your review sounds like if you had to place them Madison would have been over Cavies.

To answer your question: I understand why the Cavaliers are placing above Madison because their show is very complex and clean. Whether or not a 6 point spread is justified, I cannot say, since my knowledge of the judging sheets is limited. What I can say, however, is that Madison has the most audience-friendly show and the one I enjoyed the most.

Where ever Madison goes, who ever Madison is competing against, they will achieve the most audience reponse. They always have, they always will...imo.

Where ever Madison goes, who ever Madison is competing against, they will achieve the most audience reponse. They always have, they always will...imo.

They deserved it last night, though. By far the most exciting show.

Southwind should maintain its semi-finalist position

(psst - Southwind didn't make semis last year)

Aww, well, with all the flip-flopping that occured that night between them and Capital Regiment, even after the contest, trying to decide who got what score.... I'd say it's an understandable mistake.

Southwind should maintain its semi-finalist position

(psst - Southwind didn't make semis last year)

Aww, well, with all the flip-flopping that occured that night between them and Capital Regiment, even after the contest, trying to decide who got what score.... I'd say it's an understandable mistake.

More to the point, I was writing this at 1:00am.