Skyliners and Dreamgirls

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they are missed dearly...two great guys that could play their stones off...John Girardi and George Richardson. Remember at Macy's Sig? my squad was me, Girardi and Cupcakes!!!

DA

OH YEAH!!!!! Great stuff. What a trip that was. Thanks for reminding me Donny. Wish we could do another one of those Macy's parades just one more time. :devil::lol::lol:

They also did "Come In From The Rain" from "Dream Girls", but "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" was the one that had that fantastic sop duet. Girardi and Sidemouth at their best.

I could listen to the 83 and 84 recordings of that tune all day long

A while back Sky did an awesome version of a tune from Dreamgirls, but I can't place the year or find the name,..............a little help please?

1983 & 1984 - I'm Not Going

Arrangements by Hy Dreitzer.

Solo work by George Sidemouth Richardson, John Girardi, and Bobby Burke.

Great job on this piece - one of my favorite (especially latter day) Sky shows with Bucky doing the teching and Hy doing the writing.

Another great piece on this show was "Rainmaker" so unlike the original or the version by Bucs (I believe) but raw, full-powered Dreitzer Skyliners at his/their best - power personified - you could feel not only the rain but the dark clouds, thunder and lightning too.

George and Girardi.... man oh man...

Edited by rayfallon

1983 & 1984 - I'm Not Going

Arrangements by Hy Dreitzer.

Solo work by George Sidemouth Richardson, John Girardi, and Bobby Burke.

Great job on this piece - one of my favorite (especially latter day) Sky shows with Bucky doing the teching and Hy doing the writing.

Another great piece on this show was "Rainmaker" so unlike the original or the version by Bucs (I believe) but raw, full-powered Dreitzer Skyliners at his/their best - power personified - you could feel not only the rain but the dark clouds, thunder and lightning too.

George and Girardi.... man oh man...

To me the ironic part in all that particular number says???? He passed away in February "1984". I just finished reading his daughter Annette's tribute to him on St. Rita's Brassmen's website accompanied by Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father Again". Very touching. VERY touching!!!

To me the ironic part in all that particular number says???? He passed away in February "1984". I just finished reading his daughter Annette's tribute to him on St. Rita's Brassmen's website accompanied by Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father Again". Very touching. VERY touching!!!

People who know me know that I'm very much a Sasso guy (for the way he taught and wrote) and Genero (for the emotional energy he brought to every group he worked with) but in my heart I think that Dreitzer was the greatest of all times in this activity, including Crawford, Kerchner, Dorritie, the two guys I mentioned already, Baumgarten, Downey, all of them. I think that Hy was the musical godfather of the activity, the guy who brought it from the post-war sounds to the modern age.

It's proper that his daughter should post the most moving eulogy, as Joe's daughter did at the BHoF dinner last year, but there are so many people who owe their musical experience to Hy that if you lined them up to give a tribute, you might never finish. Joe is in that class, as are Tommy Martin, Bucky Swan, George Rodriguez, Pepe, and I'm sure many many more, but for me it's Hy Dreitzer - the greatest ever - writer, teacher - musical show designer - inspiration. Still a Sasso guy - because it worked for me - but if you put a gun to my head... gotta be Hy. (Although if someone put a gun to your head, there's a chance Joe was somewhere around there somewhere.)

One of the best brass featured numbers I ever heard.

One of the best brass featured numbers I ever heard.

Brass featured numbers?

What else is there?

Geeeez...

Brass featured numbers?

What else is there?

Geeeez...

Hey gimme a break... I'm just a simple drummer :devil: