Top Audition Tips

I think everyone here has made some excellent suggestions. I would also suggest a couple of things. Depending on your financial situation, if you were able to audition this year, or at least go to a couple of camps, even if you're not planning on marching this year, you will gain tons of valuable experience, making it easier on you when you do audition.

Another thing I would suggest is don't get flustered if you make a mistake during rehearsals/auditions/camps. This is something that bothers a lot of students. I think the secret is keeping count in your head, and trying to come back from the mistake still on time, or close to it, without risking further errors/mistakes. It is best to acknowledge you have made a mistake, without looking frustrated because of it. The staff knows there are going to be extremely long days ahead, and sometimes seem to pass on potential members that may show alot of frustration.

Try to stay relaxed and focused at the same time. Go into it planning on having a great weekend/camp whether you make the corps or not.

And the final tip. Practice, practice, practice, practice, and more practice. And don't forget to keep.....practicing.

Good luck on your audition.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1: Be as sound in your fundamentals as possible. The staff will notice and it's a lot easier for them to work with a player that has as solid a foundation as possible.

2: Be friendly and relaxed. A decent part of how you do is you interact with others between blocks. Someone who seems like a deer in the headlights when interacting with anyone is going to stand out and isn't going to last much longer then the first audition.

3: Be willing to learn. The notebook recommendation above is one of the better ones I've seen around here. If you can fix specific issues that the staff gives you to work on between camps then it's going to go a long way in helping you land the spot.

There have been some very good suggestions in this thread so far. I'll add a few...

Listen and comprehend. The corps staff will always give you any information you need to be successful. If you don't understand something, raise your hand and ask a question. We'd much rather you ask a question than screw something up because you didn't understand the instruction.

Keep in mind that you are being evaluated at all times, even when the section you are in isn't receiving direct instruction. Always assume that someone is watching you, even if you don't necessarily see them.

I can tell you that with my corps, while talent is important, we're looking for people that are teachable. These are folks that have a great attitude, work ethic and desire to be successful.

Edited by Kamarag

I think waiting until your age out year is more than a little risky. Obviously I know nothing of your personal circumstances but if at all possible try to audition before you're age out year.

It won't matter at all that you're from the UK, we've been supplying talent to DCI for years!

Go for it!

Totally agree. Kidsgrove aren't exactly a bunch of punks. They're pretty well known over here. Of course money is always a concern, but (assuming that you're male) Madison might be cool. Think about it man...two scout jackets from two different corps...how many people can claim that?

Totally agree. Kidsgrove aren't exactly a bunch of punks. They're pretty well known over here. Of course money is always a concern, but (assuming that you're male) Madison might be cool. Think about it man...two scout jackets from two different corps...how many people can claim that?

Madison is the corps that I am planning to audition for. I'm lucky to know some alumni and ex staff members which I have spoke to about the audition process, I just need to get myself up to standard. This year has helped alot with our tour because I feel I've improved a considerable amount compared to previous years.

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice, its great to know that within our community there are people willing to help out instead of trying to hinder people's ambitions. Cheers guys it does mean alot to me, everything that has been said will be taken into consideration.