The 80's

I'm sitting here watching the 84 & 83 final DVD's. I look at these shows and I had to think about why I like this so much better then today's corps. Yes this again.

High Mark Time - People today talk about the speed of todays drill. Try marking time ankle to knee. To my way of thinking its the same as running across the field. I did both and I'll take high time anyday and it looks like your actually marching.

Guard work. I look at Cadets, Blue Devils and especially Vanguard in 84 and it blows me away. The work is so beautiful. yes there is some dancing in all the shows but its still GUARD not dance troop (see Colts/Bluecoats) I watch Madison and they still had that power that makes you sit open mouthed. Now I usually laugh (at what the instructor gives them to do, not the "kids") Props are used to highlight not feature.

Drill, I like pretty pictures. I was watching some corps with my 8yo granddaughter is she kept asking whats that..but she loved the butterfly in Vanguard and other drill patterns she undrstood. My 19yo was the same way. The randomness of the drill never matched whats being played. That bomb in Suncoast show tells a story by itself. Everyone is Salvador Dali when some people what Rockwell.

Concert -The old park and blow. It gives the corp a chance to show some good musicianship and really feature the gaurd. It doesn't have to be 3 mins of standing around but less movement and more music.

No themes - If you play, march and perform the show I'm pretty sure people wouldn't care if the show was called RED, Methodod Madness, Emeraldscapes or nothing at all. For a long time no corps had a theme and did just fine. Now we "have to tell a story" guess what story I want...good music, good drill, good guard work. I listen to drum corps to relax. I don't want to think about why the show is called La Noche de la Iguana and why those guys are running around dressed like that.

Drum Solo's..yes 2 mins of a drumline paying music. not a 30 second drum break. But out front grooving and moving. When was the last classic drum solo, Cadets 2000? God I miss the Vanguard solos of the late 70's early 80's

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to drum corps to relax. I don't want to think about why the show is called "La Noche de la Iguana" and why those guys are running around dressed like that.

Britney Spears in 2003: "Sundance is weird. The movies are weird — you actually have to think about them when you watch them."

To be sure, you and Britney could both have valid points.

Britney Spears in 2003: "Sundance is weird. The movies are weird — you actually have to think about them when you watch them."

To be sure, you and Britney could both have valid points.

double post...because my feeling were so hurt...

Edited by Blackstar

Wow, first reply a personal attack...

Where's the attack? I noticed that two different people had made essentially the same point about different art forms, and pointed out the similiarity between their comments. If you think the comparison is inapt, explain why.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

double post... because my feeling were so hurt...

Sorry. Not my intention.

As was suggested in the first place, youl could argue that just because Spears said it doesn't make it wrong. Embrace your inner Britney!

Sorry. Not my intention.

As was suggested in the first place, youl could argue that just because Spears said it doesn't make it wrong. Embrace your inner Britney!

Okay I can understand that..we both had bald heads....I'm not going to talk about the short shorts and thigh high boots.... :thumbup: