The 80's

Just had the pleasure of watching '80 PR again and, WOW!, what a pretty show.

"Eat off that drill" is very, very apt. I know it was not pure asymmetrical drill but it was clean, clean, clean.

That guard sure worked their butts off, too. And I love the old snaps at the end of the phrase in the rifle line.

And twelve snares (that sound like snares), deep-tuned tenors with scoops, and basses that have tone depth that you can feel.

Good, old fashioned, in your face drum corps.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Eat off that drill" is very, very apt. I know it was not pure asymmetrical drill but it was clean, clean, clean.

It's not even remotely asymmetrical. There's exactly one sorta-kinda quasi-asymmetric look in the show, out of the drum solo, in the slow section.

Holy schnikes, I love that drill so much. Horn trees!

The numbers from 1982 into 1983 weren't too bad. It went from 205 junior corps in '82 to 191 in '83.

Most of the Eastern drop off was in Massachusetts, which went from 30 to 23.

Well, 1983 felt worse than it looks on paper because the losses extended into the top 25 (i.e. North Star, Defenders, Seattle Imperials, plus Memphis folding in mid-season), and the corps still fielding were having far more trouble filling their ranks. But yes, 1984 was no picnic either.

Did Memphis Blues actually compete in 83? I can't find any scores for them.

Corpsreps.com has five scores posted for them in 1983.

The early 80's was a time of significant economic upheaval:

from a base of over 13% inflation in 1979 and following the gas shocks of the mid-70's, the 80's started out with a brutal downturn/contraction rivaling what we are seeing today. It helped bring inflation down to around 6% in 83/84 (still high but much better). On top of that: double digit interest rates and almost double digit unemployment.

A lot of corps who were run on shoe string budgets at best just couldn't hang on through all that.

Fran,

I've always felt the same way. The closest to perfect forms I have ever seen in drum corps. :lol:

I think it was during PR's drum solo that year.... the corps did I guess what could be called an "hourglass" form that was absolutely flawless. I mean, zero ticks.

Weird that I can remember stuff like that but not remember what I had for breakfast this morning. :tongue:

That guard sure worked their butts off, too. And I love the old snaps at the end of the phrase in the rifle line.

And twelve snares (that sound like snares), deep-tuned tenors with scoops, and basses that have tone depth that you can feel.

Good, old fashioned, in your face drum corps.

Really, I'll need to go back, I found it disjointed and dirty for them although I love them all years.....I felt the music was that deep music and the guard did pretty difficult stuff, but not so clean.

The early 80's was a time of significant economic upheaval:

from a base of over 13% inflation in 1979 and following the gas shocks of the mid-70's, the 80's started out with a brutal downturn/contraction rivaling what we are seeing today. It helped bring inflation down to around 6% in 83/84 (still high but much better). On top of that: double digit interest rates and almost double digit unemployment.

A lot of corps who were run on shoe string budgets at best just couldn't hang on through all that.

It also was hurting members ability to march. We didn't have a touring fee, and would have big brass turnouts during the winter, but people were generally faced with if they did drum corps they couldn't drive (pay for insurance) or go to college. We lost so many people who just plain had to work out of absolute necessity.