Loud Music Symposium 3

Just wanted to take a sec and thank Chris and the Renegades for making us feel more then welcome, and for putting on an outstanding show. I had a blast, and i know that everyone i spoke to did as well. Great start to a great season of performances!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear everyone had great performances.

When was the last time for a massed horn line performance in Cali?  1980 - Jim Ott Memorial at DVC? the .mp3 sounded wonderful except for the skid marks left by the sopranos - Larry is gonna kill me for that comment - LOL.

That's O.K. Doug,

I didn't have any skid marks to leave back then! Now, they're like the ones left on the Bonneville Salt Flats! ]:-)

The Loud Music Symposium 3 was a blast!!

First on was MOODFRYE, an outstanding local rock band. The have won a number of local competitions, and sound like they are ready for some serious airplay.

The debut of the River City Regiment, the new Senior corps from Sacramento, was a great success. And they played one of my alltime favorites - Fanfare for the New!!

Next up was an exhibition by three Renegades guard members - Misty, Bill and Veronica, performing to the 1982 Blue Devils playing One more Time, Chuck Corea.

LMS favorites, the Stewart Tartan Pipes and Drums, showed why they are one of the premier groups - and 9 pipers  is a very loud thing. Backed by a hand-picked ensemble from the Renegades Brass, Amazing Grace was a highlight for me. I tell you - it is tough to tune to bagpipes!

After intermission,

the Phenomenauts took over. They rocked the place. And what is not to like in a Ska-influenced Rockabilly band with a guy in a radio controlled spacesuit that plays music with his head? They were last seen launching out of the parking lot with a fresh LOUD IS GOOD bumper sticker on their van - which looks like a cross between the Death Star and the van Scooby Do rides in.

Next up, the SCV 2002 Alumni Corps brass section. When their hornline started showing up at the venue, I knew we were in for a great performance. Legendary players like Rick South, John Figuera, Mike McWilliams (and so many more), playing the delightful medleys that master arranger Scott Pierson has woven from the classic SCV repertoire. Hearing them play 'The Canyon', 'Fanfare and Allegro', 'Phantom of the Opera', etc., was such a treat. Make sure you see them at Pacific Procession or DCI - they are not to be missed.

And then, the Renegades.

After spending the day putting the show together, I grabbed my Mellophone and stepped into line. I warmed up on three C tuning sequences, and we were off, debuting Bohemian Rhapsody, which was extremely well received by the great audience.

Next, the drumline showed their chops with 'Undiscovered Lionel Richie', a genius creation fron the talented and twisted mind of Lee Rudnicki.

"We Mambo now!" Lewie Wilhelm kicked us off in our opener, which just gets better and better. By now, the adrenaline was really kicking in!! The crowd was loving it, so we played our parade tune, 'In the Stone', as arranged by the great Larry Kerchner for one of my all time favorite corps, the Bayonne Bridgemen.

To end the show, we combined the hornlines of River City Regiment, SCV Alumni and the Renegades in a stirring tribute, America the Beautiful. The audience (and the players) would not leave without more, so we played it again!! LOUDER!!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped make the Loud Music Symposium 3 a success!! The guard did a great job covering the door - selling tickets, concessions and souvenir items - even kisses?? (I got mine from Lesa and Michele - ahhhh).

And for those of you who weren't there to witness it, download a free mp3 of the massed hornlines from our website - www.renegades.org

Darn, I have to start timing my spring vacation out west better.  

-Terri

PS: I wonder how many DCI rings had been won by the people on that stage? Surely a couple hundred.

Yes, I think that would have been interesting to note and also interesting would be to hi-lite who's doing Renegades or RCR AND SCV Alumni.  Isn't the alumni show like 4 1/2 hours long or something like that?   :P   Talk about COMMITTMENT!!!!!

Because I worked my tail off that evening I could only watch a few shows.  

RCR- you guys were great!  It was nice to see all of my old junior corps buds develope something fantastic.  You guys will grow in size soon if you continue the hard work.  Good luck and I will see you again at our home show.

Evil Guard-The 3 of you pulled off an amazing performance after only learning it a few short hours before hand.  Kudos to you!

My fellow Renegades-Be prepared to expect the unexpected. The other corps should be shaken in there boots.  Keep up the hard work and let's blow them all away.

]:-) x7

I just have to agree with all the post so far.  Loud Music was great!!!  Every year it is getting better and better.

What I liked the most about it is what I think that drum corps is really all about -- meeting old and new friends and playing some good music together.  I talked with people that I have not seen in 10-12 years.  It was just great.  That alone is worth doing senior corps.  Though, play loud <& in tune;)> is a close second.

It was a real treat to meet with all the members of the RCR.  Great performance and great people.  I am looking forward to seeing them later this season.

Ryan McNulty

Renegades

I just have to agree with all the post so far.  Loud Music was great!!!  Every year it is getting better and better.

What I liked the most about it is what I think that drum corps is really all about -- meeting old and new friends and playing some good music together.  I talked with people that I have not seen in 10-12 years.  It was just great.  That alone is worth doing senior corps.  Though, play loud <& in tune;)> is a close second.

It was a real treat to meet with all the members of the RCR.  Great performance and great people.  I am looking forward to seeing them later this season.

Ryan McNulty

Renegades

Woo hoo! Yet another Renegade Baritone player finds his way to DrumCorpsPlanet. You'd think there was some guy in the corps telling everyone to come here or something.  :p

Welcome to the planet Ryan!

See you on the 50.

- Greg

One cool thing was to see so many SCV people at LMS this year.  

The Renegades and SCV are really starting to mix well.  

Of course, having many people marching SCV Alumni AND Renegades at the same time certainly does not hurt corps relations...  :)

LR