Brass Silent Systems

Scatfish

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a silent brass system for a trumpet?

I know of a couple such as the Yamaha one.

Anyone know whats the best to practice with?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a silent brass system for a trumpet?

I know of a couple such as the Yamaha one.

Anyone know whats the best to practice with?

No real experience with other systems, but I can attest that the Yamaha system is great. You don't notice anything really other than the weight of the mte in the bell. The added resistance from it is minimal. I love mine!

I have Yamaha's Silent Brass. I bought my first one in 1997 and then bought a newer one 2 years ago and love them because I can rehearse anywhere and anytime I want to. It's worth the investment!

For Trombone there really is no other system that you can use, except for the Yamaha Silent Brass. If you intend to move the slide anyway. They also do a fair job of giving you feedback that sounds like the unmuted horn. So you can work on things like articulation and tone, which you just can't do on other practice mute systems. Maybe a few of them, but still. That being said, I did recently sell mine. I live in the country and don't really need it to practice anymore. Plus it was going on 10+ years old. And still as functional as the day I bought it. A decent return relative to the current MSRP for a new one. But the MSRP was nearly double it's current rate when I bought mine ten years ago. Oh well. A good practice mute in either case.

I have a JoRal trombone mute, that's literally a bell plug with a hole in it. It does little more than lets your lips buzz. With a lot of back pressure and forget about moving the slide. On the plus side, all metal so you can chuck it and still use it. And the pressure is good for making you play louder. Otherwise pretty useless outside of getting the lips buzzing while in proximity of someone else performing on stage.

Just be sure to compensate for the tuning aspects of any mute. They make you sharper in pitch. Or else you'll get a little too used to playing out of tune. Or just constantly wonder why those groups favors playing 20 cents flat all the time.