DCI Rules...

I was watching on the tube Adam Rapa trying out custom mouth pieces at the monette factory and it reminded me that back in the late 70's early 80's DCI had restrictions on custom mouth pieces. I am curious if that is still in effect and if so, why?

In my opinion if we can allow electronics, we should be able to allow members use of a custom mouth piece. If not during the entire length of the show so as to not ruin the uniformity of sound, at least area's that would benefit the upper register for effect.

What do you think?

Edited by Phantombari1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching on the tube Adam Rapa trying out custom mouth pieces at the monette factory and it reminded me that back in the late 70's early 80's DCI had restrictions on custom mouth pieces. I am curious if that is still in effect and if so, why?

In my opinion if we can allow electronics, we should be able to allow members use of a custom mouth piece. If not during the entire length of the show so as to not ruin the uniformity of sound, at least area's that would benefit the upper register for effect.

What do you think?

Corps can use any kind of mouthpieces they want to. At Teal Sound, they are all custom made for us by Warburton.

back in the late 70's early 80's DCI had restrictions on custom mouth pieces.

ROFL. Your instructors were clever, coming up with this story to keep you from using a cheater piece.

In Racine, we had a more effective method. Our practice field was on the lakefront. If you need any 13a4as, 15EWs, Pardubas, Jet-Tones, Rudy Mucks, etc. just go scuba diving in Lake Michigan.

Edited by HornsUp

ROFL. Your instructors were clever, coming up with this story to keep you from using a cheater piece.

In Racine, we had a more effective method. Our practice field was on the lakefront. If you need any 13a4as, 15EWs, Pardubas, Jet-Tones, Rudy Mucks, etc. just go scuba diving in Lake Michigan.

Yep the cheater conversation was about the way it went. However I doubt cheaters are bring used based on what I've heard the last 10-15 years in DCI.

If they are the talent level has fallen off and I don't think that has happened.

Edited by Phantombari1

As far as I know "cheaters" are legal ( an oxymoron if there ever was one) but many brass instructors tend to frown upon them.

I have never heard of this rule and I'm not sure how you would even enforce it. Who decides what's too small? And secondly, it's illegal because a mouthpiece helps too much? Haha, not likely. I mean, you wouldn't continue to use a different mouthpiece if it wasn't helping.

The brass caption heads will enforce their own lines by themselves - no doubt. Some as militant as using the exact same piece for the whole section. The idea is for a more uniform section sounds. However, there is an obvious downside to this since not everyone is the same. Though it seems like it's the easier path and takes the guesswork out. Better choice of two evils.

In an ideal world, I would use the same brand (GR or Hammond - no relation) and have a small range to choose from to get the best fit for each member. In the orchestral world it can be a bit limiting in equipment because you're trying to get the best section sound and blend (not to mention the ability to change sound color). Arnold Jacobs used to use a couple mouthpieces but they all had the same rim sizes but changed cup size (bigger the cup, more emphasis on fundamental. Smaller the cup, more overtones). And of course Bud Herseth didn't use the larger 1.5c mouthpieces until he got in a car accident and it busted his chops. Who knows how that accident may have changed the brass world in the last 50 years? haha.

P.S. Professional players never use the term "cheater." They use the piece that wins a job, gets the job done, puts money in their pocket, and makes their employers happy. It's already hard enough, why restrict yourself?

in the late 70's early 80's DCI had restrictions on custom mouth pieces...

I don't think DCI has ever had any restrictions on mouthpieces. Nothing in the 1978-79 "Blue Book" (DCI rules and interpretations manual), and DCI certainly would not have added restrictions in the '80s, when if anything, things were becoming less restrictive, not more so.

Fred O.

Reading this thread from a drummers perspective, the idea of a mouthpiece being considered "cheater" becuase it makes the job of playing the horn easier is wholly absurd. There are reeds and mouthpieces you can use that make playing a saxaphone much easier than others do. There are drum sticks of different size and weights and design that make playing on a kevlar head much easier than others do. I can take a pair of drum set sticks, and with some extra time and effort get proficient enough to play on a marching snare anything that I can play with marching sticks, but to put the extra time and effort in just to be able to say "I didn't use the most effective tool in accomplishing my goal and somehow this makes me better than you" is stupid, pointless, inefficient, and an unnecessary handicap to put on yourself.