Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

Perhaps it's "bando" in your head, because the only thing you have to base this vague show title to is a HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND SHOW! I say, lets let "Rach Star" speak for itself before we start speaking out! Much love! MUAH

Perhaps it's bando in my head because the essence of the idea has been lifted from a BOA Champ not just the show title. Don't fret though. I doubt Crown is the only corps doing a bando show this year.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's bando in my head because the essence of the idea has been lifted from a BOA Champ not just the show title. Don't fret though. I doubt Crown is the only corps doing a bando show this year.

Can't disagree with this. In fact pretty much everyone in DCI is bando :-) Unless of course you look at the difficulty of the book, the quality of the execution, the motivation of the performer, the overall member experience, the travel -- wait....

Nevermind.

Go Crown!

• Like 4

Unless of course you look at the difficulty of the book, the quality of the execution, the motivation of the performer, the overall member experience, the travel -- wait....

Nevermind.

Go Crown!

There was a time when drum corps had all you've mentioned plus it was the inspiration for marching bands not the other way around, but now I'm just showing off my brontosaurus legs! :rolleyes:

Edited by wallace
  • Like 3

There was a time when drum corps had all you've mentioned plus it was the inspiration for marching bands not the other way around, but now I'm just showing off my brontosaurus legs! :rolleyes:

It's a decidedly different world where marching band / drum corps / wgi all participate in a year round cycle of design. (Besides -- Crown can't really "steal" from Avon when their Asst. Band Dir. is also the Brass Caption Supv. at Crown. )

All that said -- I don't really expect Crown's show (based on what we know so far) to much resemble Avon's musically or visually. The (presumed) implication that Crown is so lacking in creativity that they need to 'steal' a BOA show is just...well...dumb.

IMO what's happened isn't a "decline" in drum corps but a huge surge in mb/wgi. In my book -- that's a positive not a negative. (and this is pretty far off topic so I'm shutting up about it).

• Like 4

It's a decidedly different world where marching band / drum corps / wgi all participate in a year round cycle of design. (Besides -- Crown can't really "steal" from Avon when their Asst. Band Dir. is also the Brass Caption Supv. at Crown. )

All that said -- I don't really expect Crown's show (based on what we know so far) to much resemble Avon's musically or visually. The (presumed) implication that Crown is so lacking in creativity that they need to 'steal' a BOA show is just...well...dumb.

IMO what's happened isn't a "decline" in drum corps but a huge surge in mb/wgi. In my book -- that's a positive not a negative. (and this is pretty far off topic so I'm shutting up about it).

You're funny!

Conversation at Crown Headquarters

"Hey, we need a great new idea that will win a championship plus be relevant to today's young adults PLUS sell a truck load of tshirts."

"How about we take last year's show and put a new ending on it?"

"No, no, that didn't work last year. Why do you think it would work now? We need something new. Something fresh!"

In a Thurston B Howell III style voice: "Well, I'm the assistant director at Avon High School, and we competed at BOA with an almagamation of Beethoven, Barber, and stoner music. The heathens went crazy while the boosters applauded sheepishly on their plastic cups filled with Pouily Fuisse 1992."

"Wait a minute. We couldn't do the same music. The drum corps audience is fairly savvy. They would figure it out."

"No, we'll just exchange the repertoire but keep the same premise. It'll be like changing the ending but better!"

"Man, that's a great idea. Drum corps fans will never figure this one out. You, my friend, are a rock star!"

"I know...I could teach a course."

Edited by wallace
  • Like 3

Can't disagree with this. In fact pretty much everyone in DCI is bando :-) Unless of course you look at the difficulty of the book, the quality of the execution, the motivation of the performer, the overall member experience, the travel -- wait....

Nevermind.

Go Crown!

Exactly where is someone supposed to look to find that out? Is that even quantified?