Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I'm of the mind "if t works, do it again, but different." I couldn't care less if they're using parallels from an award-winning show, BOA or not. Every time Phantom picks some great classical music, they're doing the same thing: using a formula that works! (same can be said for every successful corps, especially BD...the formula kings!)

In fact, I'd love it if Crown came out and played THE EXACT SAME SHOW as Avon, IN, just to show all of the following:

1) How awesome it could still be, but different.

2) Woodwinds version vs drum corps version.

3) Where "difficulty" would be added on/taken away for the differing judging processes.

4) To show that BOA and DC are more alike than different (and so what?)

5) To show that the educational formula used by the people from both genres "works." (we already know this, however)

• Like 2

There was a time when drum corps had all you've mentioned plus it was the inspiration for marching bands not the other way around, but now I'm just showing off my brontosaurus legs! :rolleyes:

# of people designing marching band shows is greater than # of people designing drum corps shows... Where do you expect the most number of ideas to come from? And why does it matter who is inspiring who?

• Like 2

It doesn’t advance the drill or the show, it seems like a simple mello part where they added the body movement to up the demand – I can’t consider it another ‘layer’ unless there is justification – one I can’t find, how does it tie into, connect to the show??? And after so much body movement and watered down parts, well I’d rather less body movement and better parts – just stand there and play something cool because this seems needlessly busy and kind of a cop out, being hard for the sake of being hard, well, I get the demand credit thing but do something that’s hard and cool…anything done to death is no longer cool

That mello part was the opposite of simple. It was a part of the show that they needed to work on everyday, for the whole summer until it was perfect (which it was by finals). It also stimulates the audiences eyes. During the ballad, the marching is generally much slower, with a lack of drill moves. The whole corps continues to make the show visually interesting by showing musical technique that is off the charts while moving in ways that would normally restrict sound quality. They're doing legitimate ballet in this section while playing smoothly and lyrically, not to mention softly. I think it is one of the most impressive parts of the show, after, of course, the unison hits while running towards the center of the field during the reprise of the Mahler.

I really hope Crown continues using body movement in the future, because it is what stands them apart from other corps.

• Like 1

# of people designing marching band shows is greater than # of people designing drum corps shows... Where do you expect the most number of ideas to come from? And why does it matter who is inspiring who?

A lot of this is just awareness too.

Marching band and drum corps have been cross-pollinating for a *long* time. I had drum corps people teaching *me* in HS band and that was a LONG time ago.

But the interwebs have changed people's perspectives. Now you can (if you so desire) following the 'activity' year-round and coast-to-coast.

• Like 1

That mello part was the opposite of simple. It was a part of the show that they needed to work on everyday, for the whole summer until it was perfect (which it was by finals). It also stimulates the audiences eyes. During the ballad, the marching is generally much slower, with a lack of drill moves. The whole corps continues to make the show visually interesting by showing musical technique that is off the charts while moving in ways that would normally restrict sound quality. They're doing legitimate ballet in this section while playing smoothly and lyrically, not to mention softly. I think it is one of the most impressive parts of the show, after, of course, the unison hits while running towards the center of the field during the reprise of the Mahler.

I really hope Crown continues using body movement in the future, because it is what stands them apart from other corps.

It's definitely part of what makes Crown, Crown.

Side Note does anyone know if they are keeping the 2010 uniforms for another year or going back to the 08/09 uniforms?

I'm fairly certain that Crown gave their '07-'09 unis to a high school band in Virginia. I could be 100% wrong on this, but I can't see them using their unis from last year either with this show.

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll get some negative feedback for asking this, but why do so many people want to see Crown use less choreography?

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll get some negative feedback for asking this, but why do so many people want to see Crown use less choreography?

completely explains it.

(And no - I'm not comparing CC to WMA.) But Joseph II's reaction (IMO) answers your question directly.

Edited by corpsband