Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

While it may be possible to scientifically study why music (and especially drum corps) has an emotional effect on audience members, any scientific quantifying won't take into considering the visceral reaction a drum corps fan's soul has when experiencing a show. Any attempt to create shows to exploit the neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain would be destined to accomplish neither responses. What makes drum corps special to each individual goes beyond numbers, charts and graphs and enters that element that is gloriously unknown...and unknown for a reason we're not likely to understand or comprehend.

In addition, such a show conceived by such criteria might work on paper, but might be created for a corps that just can't handle the demands of said show. It's certainly not unknown for instructors to overwrite for a corps' abilities.

Conceiving shows is sort of a hit or miss proposition. Creators can't know for sure if what they've put together will truly fulfill their hopes and expectations until the season begins, and often not for weeks into the season.

Instead of pondering scientific quantifications to create a show, one's time would be better spent twiddling one's thumbs.

Unbelievable.

• Like 2

I hypothesize that if a corps bangs drums together (on a scale of the standard deviation of timing of hits) and blows horns louder (on a scale of decibels) , they will get a better audience reaction (on a scale of t-shirts sold/audience member.)

That's all you think such a study would be scaled to? Really? Volume and timing don't even begin to scratch the surface of how much of this stuff can be quantified and analyzed.

• Like 2

What if corps knew with a 100% certainty that audience members get the highest reaction from... say, Latin music in drum corps. And they were even able to find out a specific song that "most" audience members liked and had the strongest reaction too say "Malagueña". Every corps recieves the same data. They want to please the fans so in 2012 every corps plays Malaguena and latin tunes.

Oh... wonderful...

Chances of that are excrutiatingly minimal, so I would have absolutely zero qualms about letting that happen if that's what the data suggest.

• Like 1

Nevermind the fact that not all neurological pathways will be the same for everyone and therefore, not everyone will have the same baby-throwing reaction. God forbid, the split is 60/40, the corps program to the majority, and boom.

No, but it's not black and white, and as is immediately obvious to most, based around some sort of distribution.

• Like 2

... For who?

Are you implying we all love the same thing or will react to the same thing?

I'd hate to see your study come back and show that the most exhilarating product involved narration....

I'd venture say that yes, the audience all does like the same thing deep down, modulo taste and experience. Of course there are ways around both of those. The biggest mistake is asuming that there's no such thing as common ground, that each person in an audience is entirely independent when that couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like 2

It's been scientifically proven on DCP that it's impossible for anyone to understand what audiences may or may not enjoy.

I know you meant this as a joke, Mike, so I'll let it slide. We all know that's not true.

• Like 1

Worst offender so far, astoundingly and maddeningly so. Here we go...

While it may be possible to scientifically study why music (and especially drum corps) has an emotional effect on audience members, any scientific quantifying won't take into considering the visceral reaction a drum corps fan's soul has when experiencing a show.

Absolutely false.

Any attempt to create shows to exploit the neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain would be destined to accomplish neither responses.

What pray tell are you basing that statement on?

What makes drum corps special to each individual goes beyond numbers, charts and graphs and enters that element that is gloriously unknown...and unknown for a reason we're not likely to understand or comprehend.

Yes, anti-intellectualism has gotten us so far the past 100 years. No, wait, I'm sorry, that was actually our realization that we can comprehend and understand much more than we think, and never back down until we're absolutely sure we can't, that's responsible.

In addition, such a show conceived by such criteria might work on paper, but might be created for a corps that just can't handle the demands of said show. It's certainly not unknown for instructors to overwrite for a corps' abilities.

Of course, obviously that has to be taken into consideration. I agree with you.

Instead of pondering scientific quantifications to create a show, one's time would be better spent twiddling one's thumbs.

I'm glad my efforts are so appreciated.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 2

For me, my reactions often depend on my mood. For whatever reason, Phantom's 03 closer will make me well up on one day, and just get crazy excited on another.

During a live performance, I'd venture to say there's a greater chance of the former happening.

• Like 2