Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

Your new DCI audience survey tool!

gal_spinal_tap_david_kaff.jpg

All Hail, Viv Savage!

Hey..the BD 2010 designer!

Presenting their 2012 program "Magnets! How do they work?!" Drum Corps International is proud to present....

The Velvet Knights!

Musical selections to include "She Blinded me With Science" by Thomas Dolby, "Mr. Roboto" by Styx, and "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley.

Best and most meaningful post in this entire thread.

Could there also be a study investigating why this type of research appeals so much to you and so little to many others?

science

That's a good first step. Are designers doing that?

the audience doesnt give the scores

Some will take it in whatever form. Others act as though we are in the End Times for drum corps already.

But I see your point. If there's one thing that will save drum corps, it's pandering to the majority.

Here's a hypothetical though. Let's say this study is conducted, results are found, programming and design changes are made and they are a hit for audiences and DCI alike. Revenue and attendence are up because people are just loving that all corps are doing what they like.

DCI wants to keep the good times rolling and decides to shore things up by making these results part of the judging criteria. Corps must play a chord for 15 seconds or longer because crowds love it. They must incorporate diamond cutters because the crowds love them. The crowds love all these things and more....

... now.

What happens when extended chords and diamond cutters stop getting the reaction they get today because people are tired of seeing/hearing the same thing?

then mirrors, chairs, NPR shows and other such stuff comes back. :tongue:

I'm guessing (and yes, it's obviously just my own guess) that if one were to do a similar study discovering which words in the English language provoke the strongest physiological responses and pasted them all together in a novel length book, it'd be nothing but a jumbled, nonsensical mess. (Cue the mandatory "But that's what some corps' shows have become as it is!" joke...) :rolleyes:

If the OP were to complete the sort of study he's suggesting, I'd be fascinated to read the results. But that doesn't mean I'd have any desire whatsoever to go see a drum corps show created by such a downright mechanical method. They make plenty of pharmaceuticals these days designed to alter neurochemistry in ways that are becoming increasingly specific. With a show designed to achieve what the OP's proposing, I might as well pop a pill manufactured to give me an uncontrollable urge to clap loudly and give me a temporary sense of wonder and appreciation.

No thanks, I'll continue to take my chances of watching shows that are less then neurochemically ideal with the "messy" artistic processes of creating work that musicians, drill writers, artists, authors, actors, directors, and everyone else that's attempted to create anything of artistic worth since the first cave paintings have played with.

• Like 2