It's been a decade...

Posted this on my facebook and got some interesting responses...

In the next decade, how long will the list be? Can we reverse it? How can more corps make it to the competition field and not just survive... but THRIVE...

resuming as a smaller corps; smaller budget easer management, then move into a larger organization if desired when ready. SDCA was formed to provide a venue for smaller corps, even as few as 10 horns. It is growing quickly because of demand. SDCA would love to be a part of your re-organization. visit the web site www.theSDCA.org

• Like 1

I do not know why the OC Div. has gone out of their way to turn their collective backs on the legacy fans. For that matter the WC Corps do not want us. And the OC Div.has not figured out their history is a lot longer then 10 years.I lost all respect for the OC leaders when the refused to say or do anything to celebrate the 35th year of the first DCI OC/Class A DCI finals. At least the WC made an honest attempt to do something on their 35th ann of their first Finals show. fix this disrespect to the OC legacy fans, maybe just maybe we may want to help support this great Div. Do nothing and u will get nothing in return.

Dean

Not sure how the OC has turned their backs on legacy fans?

I simply mentioned 10 years, I could have extended further (like to the early 90s when I marched in a Division II corps, or taught a Division III corps)

Not sure what should/could have been done to celebrate 35 years of a division that has only been unified a few seasons. Open Class grew out of II/III, and before than was A/A-60... but All-Girl and Cadet Classes were more separate, should they be lumped into to the new Open Class?

So what you are saying is you don't support the Open Class because they didn't acknowledge the 35th year of 'Non-WC/Division I' championships?

• Like 1

Not sure how the OC has turned their backs on legacy fans?

I simply mentioned 10 years, I could have extended further (like to the early 90s when I marched in a Division II corps, or taught a Division III corps)

Not sure what should/could have been done to celebrate 35 years of a division that has only been unified a few seasons. Open Class grew out of II/III, and before than was A/A-60... but All-Girl and Cadet Classes were more separate, should they be lumped into to the new Open Class?

So what you are saying is you don't support the Open Class because they didn't acknowledge the 35th year of 'Non-WC/Division I' championships?

ng

Chris-- I m a big supporter of the OC Div. Just read my posting in the OC forum. I even supported ur Corps with money. ur last sentence is way out of line,Please do not put words in my mouth.

the OC div. is in no way shape or form a new Div. The only thing new about it is the name.

You could of went back to the 70's the years I marched in Class A. The Glassmen has been an Class A Corps longer then an WC Corps. I ask that u go to Corpsrep. and Look at the 75 US Open Class A prelims. And compare that to how many corps went to DCI OC Finals Prelims. U will see there were more Class A corps then OC corps and some of the Class A Corps did no go to finals that year.

All one has to do is go reread some of the ideas that were written on what could of been done to celebrate the 35th year that were ignored by the powers the b in the OC Div. and it would of cost little or no money.

It is clear u r unaware by the fact......and yes it is a fact the there r thousands of us who have never heard r seen r shows. I m one of the lucky ones. I got to hear my show from 75 a couple of years ago. However i have never seen my show.

You asked what can b done to help the OC Div. I said stop ignoring the OC legacy fans. By doing this the OC Div. is leaving thousands of dolor's on the table because of their failure to engage the OC legacy fans.

There r many great ideas in the OC forum on how to turn this Div. around if one would only listen. The fact is there r less fans that see an OC show live then in the WC div.However the powers that be think they know what we want from the OC Div.and of course they r wrong. Stop making square widgets when it is clear ur customers want round widgets. Many have given DCI a chance to make round widgets, however,because DCI thinks they know that square widgets r the best thing since slice bread they have refused to make round widgets. So your customers r now taking their money to a different entity that is making round widgets.

the disrespect that the powers that b in the OC Div.show the the OC legacy fans, is way worst then what is happening in the WC Div. At least they r trying. the OC Div. could care less about us.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Man I marched at shows with so many of those corps that are gone. The activity would be a lot richer were they still here. However if it were a case of the members having a good experience, or more shows I land on the side of good experience. I remember doing regional shows in 2001 that had enough corps to split into two days, or do prelims/finals. We were ecstatic to make finals for the Coast Guard open in 2001. The Garden State open in 2001, and then in Buffalo. It was like our triple crown.

Edited by Phirefenix

All one has to do is go reread some of the ideas that were written on what could of been done to celebrate the 35th year that were ignored by the powers the b in the OC Div. and it would of cost little or no money.

the disrespect that the powers that b in the OC Div.show the the OC legacy fans, is way worst then what is happening in the WC Div. At least they r trying. the OC Div. could care less about us.

Dean

Please point out where I should be reading, as I can not find any reference to the 35th.

Would love to know (even privately) how the powers that be in OC are doing what you say, as I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Everyone I know values the OC Legacy Fans just as much as our WC counterparts. Some maybe even moreso.

Dean

I honestly do not see how you can come up with the conclusion that OC corps do not care about Legacy fans. Of course they do.

The hard truth is, Many OC Corps are busy trying to ensure their SURVIVAL, so they are focusing most of their effort there. You will have no OC Corps to be a fan of, if they do not focus the Lion's share of their attention on the growth and health of their own organizations.

Many OC Corps operate on a 100,000 or less operating budget (and even some presently active touring OC corps on much, MUCH less). They also have vastly less of the most important resource: PEOPLE. (think: Volunteers. Afterall, Charity Golf Tournaments, Poker Tourny's, Silent Auctions don't run themselves, Grants don't write themselves, and the bigger the Corps, the more parents you have to help. Volunteers are the essential lifeblood from which all good, healthy non-profit organizations come.)

(ASIDE:) How do these OC Corps grow? By ensuring they focus all their attention on creating a FABULOUS member experience. Happy members stay in the Corps, and bring their FRIENDS! as the corps grows, so does the level of support. It's all connected, but back to my original line of thinking:

Now, compare the OC Budgets to the operating budget of some of the WC corps. - Some have as much as up to 5 million per annum to work with, (I kid you NOT) Big Corporate Sponsors, Huge fan bases, huge support teams, Merch sales, advertising support, appearance fees, enough funding to spawn companies dedicated to earning money for their Corps' continued operations, etc. etc. They are models of success.

But with that kind of contrast - suddenly, you can see why there isn't a nationwide movement of OC Corps trying to win back the Legacy fans. They are busy focusing on operations, and trying to ensure that there IS an OC here to serve the kids we care so much about. It's about the KIDS.

OC loves and values their fans too, and realize they are important, but many of these corps play to small crowds day-in and day-out, and aren't reliant on the merch sales, DVD sales, crowd attendances and appearance fees to make the clock tick in the same way that the WC corps are. They are simply trying to ensure that their valuable segment of the activity is here to continue enriching the lives of young people throughout North America for years to come.

It's a question of economics, really.

Edited by Canadacorps

There is still a small bit of hope for Heritage/Court of Honor reforming.

GREAT! Court of Honor was an excellent Corps, I'd love to see them re-form.

You gotta be kidding me. I completely disagree with what your statements.

I respect all who agree and disagree with my statements. I know the OC Corps r busy doing other things then worrying about their fan base. That is why my statements where not about the Corps themselves. It's the people who run the OC Div. Its so easy to say I disagree and have nothing to back up why one disagrees. I will make it easy on those who disagree with my disrespect statement. Provide a link on here and proof of anything the OC Div. leaders have done to engage the OC legacy fan base. Once that data is provided and valid in this thread I will do a mea culpa.

Dean