Favorite Championhip Shows

I won't put this in a poll since I'll probably miss some

What championship show (NOT DCI) was your favorite and why?

I have two.....U.S. Open (Marion, OH). Saw some fantastic drum corps in 1972 and 1973 as well as in the 80's. The community was great!

NT Open 1974-1977...it was in my home town of North Tonawanda. I got to see Blue Devils, Regimente Militaire, Toronto Optimists, Osage PrecisionAires, Argonne rebels, Seattle Imperials, Marksmen, Charioteers, Floridians,Black Watch, Marquis....etc.

I went to the US Open once, in 1971, with the Pembroke Imperials. The town was in kind of a time warp. They actually seemed proud to be the home town of President Warren G Harding. Go figure??

But we had a very good time there. The people were very friendly, and the show was very well organized.

My four favorite shows were:

1. The Dream Contest in Jersey City, held in a dilapidated old mausoleum of a baseball park called Roosevelt Stadium. Great corps, both Senior and Junior, (please don't give me PC DCI term, "all age corps". PC - and DCI - is BS), battled against the field that was a real challenge. The near sideline was near, but not parallel to, the third base line. This sometimes caught out corps making their first appearance there. In those days the only lines on the field were the starting line (left goal line), the finish line (right goal line), the 50 yard line, and the sidelines.

Most corps were taught use sidelines and the 50 as alignment references. Some used the grandstand, itself. There, you had the sideline and the third base line which weren't parallel to each other, or to the grandstand. Made things dicey for newbies

There was also the skin part of the infield to deal with, clouds of dust were raised during high knee lift marking time. And there was an Alp of a pitcher's mound which the stadium owners insisted had to stay. Parts of every corps had to climb that while dressing a line at some point in every show. Let's no even talk about the pot holes in the unpaved parking lot outside.

Never-the-less, it was my all-time fave. It was the first big show, invitational only, so it was an honor just to be asked to perform there. And, it was fun.

2. The World Open at the Manning Bowl in Lynn Ma. It was held in another crumbling old pile of concrete, but this pile had the best acoustics of any stadium I've ever been in. Check the old Richmond and Fleetwood recordings to hear if I'm not right.

The best corps performed there, and everybody sounded GREAT. Those performances were usually superb as well. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the kids could hear how good they sounded. It's a theory.

The 1970 and 1971World Opens were the BEST contests I ever attended. Every corps nailed it.

3. The VFW Nationals. They were easily the most prestigious of the National Championship contests, pre DCI. In spite of all the, largely justifiable, #####ing about Tony Schlechta, the man did put on the show everybody wanted to be in, and to win. Paradox? You bet!

4. Drums in the Night, at the Bernardian Bowl in Fitchburg Ma. It was an ordinary high school football stadium, and it was held every year on the night following the Mission Drums Senior Corps show at Boston College. There were always excellent corps competing in a contest that featured bizarre placings so often that the local corps used to call it, "The Fitchburg Boat Race" because it often bore no possible relationship to a drum corps contest.

It's on the list because it was always a fun, entertaining evening that no one took very seriously.

Gil

World Open and US Open were neck in neck for me. US Open Crowds were always awesome, always loud. World Open (Manning Bowl) was an incredible experience. The Best corps WERE there and they usually put on the show of their lives there. I really don't own a recording from the Manning Bowl that wasn't fantastic, and again, the crowds there really REALLY knew there drum corps. :thumbup:

Edited by BariBrian

My 1975 World Open records were dynamite...Blue devils, Kilties, Muchachos, Cavaliers, Polish Falcon cadets, St Francis Sancians, etc.

World Open and US Open were neck in neck for me. US Open Crowds were always awesome, always loud. World Open (Manning Bowl) was an incredible experience. The Best corps WERE there and they usually put on the show of their lives there. I really don't own a recording from the Manning Bowl that wasn't fantastic, and again, the crowds there really REALLY knew there drum corps. :thumbup:

Whitewater and Dekalb. To watch and perform. Being in the stands at DeKalb for the runoff in 1982 and on the field for Whitewater in 83 are two of the greatest experiences of my life.

I have to agree with you Brian. Especially Us Open 77!!

I would like to add that the UOEC/DCE Championships were usually "very entertaining". Last show of the year, all corps usually let it all hang out.

Right Jerry,,but not always with good results huh?

My best times at Regional shows were at the US Open and at the Key to the Sea! :devil:

really loved those shows in 79 and 80! :worthy:

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to march with a good corps, in a region of drum corps fanatics. The best shows for me were always:

CYO Nationals - Boston College - any year - best under the lights. The crowds were huge - perhaps 20,000 a few times. When the audience rose to give you a standing "O" - the energy was phenominal.

World Open - Manning Bowl. The crowd was right on top of you - sometimes filling the entire bowl.

Those two venues were best because the winner was never assumed, the audience was always a factor in your GE mark, and the fans were grateful to all corps.

Edited by LancerLegend

The 1970 and 1971World Opens were the BEST contests I ever attended. Every corps nailed it.

The 1970 World Open was the first major "championship-level" show I remember attending. The local NJ junior corps I joined in 1971 marched in the World Open Prelims in '71... then we got to watch a chunk of the Prelims and all of Finals that year.

I completely agree with you... those 1970 and 1971 World Opens were something else. Great lineups, both years.

Also with ya on the Dream. The atmosphere of that show at Roosevelt Stadium was, quite simply, like no other drum corps show before or since.

I had the privilege of marching in the Dream from 1977 through 1980 at Roosevelt. The show then moved to other sites for a few more years.... but it was never quite the same as when it was held at that old stadium in Jersey City.

Edited by Fran Haring