The Walk to Indy: A Drum Corps Documentary

I don't know of how many people know about this project, but I feel the entire drum corps community needs to know this story:

"Written by a recent colorguard ageout, Class of 2010, Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps:

In the stands people put their hands together and applaud the corps at the completion of their best show yet. On the field is a girl using everything she has left to hold herself up. Once the bass drum hits, signaling the dismissal of the corps, her body goes out and she hits the ground. The corps begins to exit the stadium as two staff members are left behind carrying her off the sideline. The conditions in drum corps are less than ideal, yet something in the activity is appealing to high school and college students, bringing them back every summer to sacrifice a vacation for one thing: music performance.

"There is no easing up in drum corps. There is no off switch," says film director Adam Adorno. Working with Focus Group Promotions, Adorno and videographer Manny Coronado are following Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps from Southern California on their summer tour. The 2010 season will be captured in The Walk to Indy showing the corps as they perform their program Maze and revealing that there are more challenges in the season than just the show.

Perhaps one of the poignant life experiences is losing a loved one. In November 2009, Pacific Crest lost its drum major, Zach Headden, who had been with corps since 2006 and served as front field drum major for both the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Zach was killed in an automobile collision, and 2010 would have been his age-out season.

A Pacific Crest tradition during the Drum Corps International Age-Out Ceremony is for all the age outs to leave their shoes on the field in the shape of the corps logo, the crest. This year's ceremony (Summer 2010) will be especially memorable for the corps: On the field that night will be one more pair of shoes than the number of age outs, in remembrance of a young man who had made a significant impact on the corps. In addition to focusing on this story, a few individuals will be followed allowing us an inside view of their drum corps experience. As described by Adorno, "The Walk to Indy isn't just about Zach's shoes being left on the field, but everybody's journey to Indianapolis and a celebration of Zach's life."

Being on tour separates a member from "real life" for a short period of time, but in this film real life finds ways to catch up with people. It is more than just handling the stress of intense rehearsals and more than dealing with extreme exhaustion and fatigue. Watching The Walk to Indy will show the audience a deeper layer to this demanding sport.

Adorno and Coronado will continue to film Pacific Crest through the end of tour. Focus Group Promotions will begin editing at the conclusion of the season and is projecting the release of the film to festivals starting in late 2011."

Unlike many documentaries, while this film does follow Pacific Crest, it does include perspectives, members and experiences from other drum corps as well. Please spread the word about this amazing project. To contact for donations, inquires, or comments, please email thewalktoindy@gmail.com

The Official Trailer can be found on youtube

Edited by marchingkjunkie21
  • Like 6

People should definitely check the videos out!

I can't wait to see the final product. The trailer looks amazing and now it's just a waiting game for it to be finished. Please spread the word about this. Even a post on Facebook that catches one person's attention would make it worthwhile.

I was able to see Pacific Crest perform a number of times last summer, and I always really enjoyed their show! I was well-aware of the heart-breaking loss of PC's drum major, and that added to the poignancy of watching their performance. I look forward to this documentary... I hope we fans will be able to find it somewhere, to view. Hopefully, it will do well at festivals, for it could bring great exposure to DCI. The trailers are wonderful! I've already passed them along to family and friends.

Is this something that will be in theaters or will it go straight to DVD?

Either way I really want to see it! It looks like it's going to be amazing!

Is this something that will be in theaters or will it go straight to DVD?

Either way I really want to see it! It looks like it's going to be amazing!

It's something that will be entered into festivals first. The hope is that it will get picked up by someone and distributed somehow. Then we'll know what the deal is with where it will be viewable.

It's something that will be entered into festivals first. The hope is that it will get picked up by someone and distributed somehow. Then we'll know what the deal is with where it will be viewable.

Thank-You for the info. Much appreciated :smile:

Film festivals in "late 2011" seems a long way off..... but, I hope someone in the know will keep us posted here on DCP. Many, many people follow film festivals, and documentary films in particular. I have my fingers crossed for this whole venture.