Swearing in song lyrics

A question for those out there in the guard world.

Does WGI or any circuit have rules about swearing in song lyrics?

I think generally 'hell' or 'd*mn' are ok, but that's usually where the line is drawn.

I ask because I was watching Pacificaires' video from the Austin regional, and couldn't help but notice the word 's**t' left twice in the song 'Hometown Glory' by Adele. It's not the most noticeable word, about 4 minutes into the song, but for those who know the lyrics, it raises the question as to whether it's appropriate or not for audiences.

So... what are your thoughts on the issue? Anyone recall anything like this from the past?

Regardless, I love their program this year and can't wait to see it live.

• Like 1

the city slickers loudly yelled "oh ####" in 1984 during "little afairie on the prarie" as the indians surrounded the cavalry! :tongue:

Edited by dugg
  • Like 1

the city slickers loudly yelled "oh ####" in 1984 during "little afairie on the prarie" as the indians surrounded the cavalry! :tongue:

And it was NOT cut from the PBS finals broadcast, either--I have a copy of the performance. I remember Drum Corps World had a recap of finals that made mention of it (and not in a good way).

• Like 1

And it was NOT cut from the PBS finals broadcast, either--I have a copy of the performance. I remember Drum Corps World had a recap of finals that made mention of it (and not in a good way).

oh i would LOVE to read that dcw recap!the audience reaction to it was laughter!

the next year "general hospital" they shouted "hell NO" when asked if they would like to see their loved ones treated in such a manner! :rolleyes:

the potty mouthed city slicker's [not above going for a cheap laugh] were about comedy,fun and irreverence......something that is sorely missed today! :w00t:

Edited by dugg
  • Like 1

They didn't edit it. They used the radio version of the song, in which the word is deleted.

A whole bunch of guards used that song 2 years ago. I believe they all edited it out.

ahhhh back in the day when you could swear at your students and throw things and smack em down if needed. LOL

• Like 1

oh i would LOVE to read that dcw recap!the audience reaction to it was laughter!

the next year "general hospital" they shouted "hell NO" when asked if they would like to see their loved ones treated in such a manner! :rolleyes:

the potty mouthed city slicker's [not above going for a cheap laugh] were about comedy,fun and irreverence......something that is sorely missed today! :w00t:

I think I have that issue of DCW somewhere in storage. I'll see if I can find it this weekend and post the quote.

ahhhh back in the day when you could swear at your students and throw things and smack em down if needed. LOL

What do you mean "back in the day" I still do this.... : ) the parents are cool with it.

I cant find the Pacificaires open show anymore on Fan Network!???? That show is amazing and should have no problem medaling!