Southwind

I'm so glad you posted, Michael. Nothing like context from the people who lived it daily with their own pocketbooks and intentions to help keep it real.

(Love the Ron White quote - he's hilarious!)

Go Troop! :thumbup:

Terri - I absolutely LOVE Ron White! We go to see him any time he performs in or near Atlanta! By the way, my son Michael Patrick says the Troop's horn line was ON FIRE at the recent camp! He's excited about the prospects for the upcoming season! We'll be doing about 3 1/2 weeks on the road with them again this year and can't wait! We take our own 45 ft Prevost bus conversion with us on tour and the horn staff always comandeers it as their own personal staff bus while we're with them! The overnight drives are a hoot listening to the staff's analysis and the creative process!

As the founder and original Executive Director of Southwind, all I can tell you is that I would give my eye tooth if Southwind was still active! I can't answer the question as to whether making finals in 2000 would have changed the course of history, but as the corps was funded for the first two years largely out of my back pocket and from member tuition, the path was not easy from the very beginning. My asistant director, Dave Bryan, who eventually took the reins when I moved on, did a great job of solidifying the corps financial standing over the years and I know the corps actually had no debt and substantial cash reserves when it moved under the Madison Scouts umbrella in 1997-98. From there, I'm of the opinion that the move to Lexington to qualify for participation in Drum Corps Midwest never paid off for the corps and eroded its traditional Alabama base. When Dave finally ended severed his ties to the corps, I believe that was the beginning of the end, even though it took a few more years to die.... :sad:

You have that right Michael, Dave Bryan is one superb, kind, caring, wise and awesome individual.

• Like 3

You have that right Michael, Dave Bryan is one superb, kind, caring, wise and awesome individual.

Howdy-Doody has given his seal of approval! All is well.

Given his previous endorsements, I agree! :thumbup:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Given his previous endorsements, I agree! :thumbup:

Schmidted it!!! :thumbup:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...