Drum Corps World Ceases Print Version

Saw this on the DCI Forum. Curiously, no one else has posted it here yet, though it is on the DCP home page:

http://www.drumcorps...cles.cfm?id=853

As a long-time subscriber, I was taken by surprise totally by this, and more than a little upset, since I just renewed a first class subscription.

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Saw this on the DCI Forum. Curiously, no one else has posted it here yet, though it is on the DCP home page:

As a long-time subscriber, I was taken by surprise totally by this, and more than a little upset, since I just renewed a first class subscription.

i think it's a bad decision. i know print is mre expensice then digital media but in these time of decline it would be better to have print. when people thataren't in corps and go to a show they can but it and then subscribe and maybe get a real interest in corps. just my 2 cents.

No, John, you're not the only one. I, too, sent in a 1st class renewal check in February and never saw this coming. I sent a message to Steve and told him that I felt we ( long time subscribers) were effectively blind-sided by this and if I had known this was coming I never would have sent in a check. Oh, BTW, you'll be getting a $26 refund from him, the difference between 1st class and 2nd class subscriptions. He hoped I didn't mind. Frankly, I'm really quite p****d over the whole situation. Anyone else???

Ray

I'm not upset, and I understand. I too love the print version, but even dailies like USA Today and the NY Times can tell you more and more print is a losing proposition. Too expensive, not enough ad revenue especially in this economy, and with iphones, ipads, the web, etc, fewer and fewer people take the time to read newspapers. Hell, people now download books to their ipads and kindles.

Yeah, I guess my collection won't grow anymore, but Steve never ran DCW just for the $$, he ran it for the love too. The problem is the $$ was now a bigger impediment than the love was. I look at it this way....it least it isn't dying totally, just switching formats. I for one applaud Steve in finding a way to keep it alive, embracing technology, and continuing to give us what we expect from DCW, just in a new and exciting

No, John, you're not the only one. I, too, sent in a 1st class renewal check in February and never saw this coming. I sent a message to Steve and told him that I felt we ( long time subscribers) were effectively blind-sided by this and if I had known this was coming I never would have sent in a check. Oh, BTW, you'll be getting a $26 refund from him, the difference between 1st class and 2nd class subscriptions. He hoped I didn't mind. Frankly, I'm really quite p****d over the whole situation. Anyone else???

Ray

i.ve had dealings with steve in the past and found him NOT to be a stand up guy. but that's just my interaction with him. others think he's a good guy. but if he is then he should have given everyone a good deal of time to know this was happening. just my opinion.

i.ve had dealings with steve in the past and found him NOT to be a stand up guy. but that's just my interaction with him. others think he's a good guy. but if he is then he should have given everyone a good deal of time to know this was happening. just my opinion.

I've never had any bad dealings with Steve in the past and have always found him to be a stand-up guy. And I can also appreciate what Jeff had to say, but like I told Steve yesterday and now Jeff, have you tried to take your desktop computer to the can with you???? I also get the NY Times ( for their crossword puzzles and sports, certainly not for their editorial content ). I like to solve the puzzles at the kitchen table with a hot cuppa. I also like to read books, a lot. There's a lot to be said for actually turning a page and really getting into the book or story. Sorry, I'm not into all the technology that's been thrown at us, too much, too fast. There's no chance for all of it to sink in and be of use to me. I'll use what I can and toss the rest. Hell, I only got a cell phone 3 years ago and even that is just a phone; no texting, no internet, only a phone and I'm very happy with that limitation.

Ray

very happy being a dinosaur in this case

I've never had any bad dealings with Steve in the past and have always found him to be a stand-up guy. And I can also appreciate what Jeff had to say, but like I told Steve yesterday and now Jeff, have you tried to take your desktop computer to the can with you???? I also get the NY Times ( for their crossword puzzles and sports, certainly not for their editorial content ). I like to solve the puzzles at the kitchen table with a hot cuppa. I also like to read books, a lot. There's a lot to be said for actually turning a page and really getting into the book or story. Sorry, I'm not into all the technology that's been thrown at us, too much, too fast. There's no chance for all of it to sink in and be of use to me. I'll use what I can and toss the rest. Hell, I only got a cell phone 3 years ago and even that is just a phone; no texting, no internet, only a phone and I'm very happy with that limitation.

Ray

very happy being a dinosaur in this case

Ray...for 42, I have far more dinosaur tendencies than I probably should, and I agree....but, I've also come to realize technology is here to stay, and no matter how much we try to resist, it can't be slowed down. Hell, I was ###### when the current jetta didnt have a tape deck.

This may come off sounding wrong and may offend a few, but we, tho diehards, aren't the future. and the kids today, the future DCW readers, are NOT getting the paper form, and if it can't be found on all their new gizmos, they just don't give a ####. And if they don't give a ####, DCW dries up and dies. It's been drying up. Now it's finding a way to stay alive.

Yeah, I love to read real books. I'm still ###### my local borders is closing. Yeah my Iphone pisses me off daily. I can't tell you how many names I have called my computer.

But I also realize I've gotta adapt now, because in 20 years, most of what we have now will be more obsolete than the 8 track tape. Hell, I'm having a hard time finding a decent turntable for the albums I have. So, I just started getting as much of it as I could on cd, then burning it on my Ipod too.....because it won't be that long til cd players are gone.

so kudos Steve, from a guy who likes to read newspapers, but totally understands and supports your decision.

I take it that your subscription still has some time on it and you haven't sent in a renewal check as yet? BTW, DCW did make certain to send out letters notifying subscribers of the pending expiration of said subscriptions along with renewal forms. And yes, I know that technology is taking over everything, but I still don't have to like it. Besides, in the 20 years or so that you are talking about, I will be planted by then.

Just saying that I like Steve, I'm glad he's found a way to continue the publication so all the electrical doodad fans get to use their new toys and all but I AM annoyed with the way he went about it and USED long-time print subscribers without their say-so and hoping everyone would jump for joy over this. Well, sorry, but not all of us are! I think the way the subscribers were/are being handled stinks. Just sayin'.

ray that is what i'm talking about. the WAY he handles people.

Deleted by poster.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer