Onyx

The immediacy of the performance. The energy that they bring, the intricacy and the coordination; without a discernible (at least to me) beat, the coordination is amazing. I love how they draw Me in with a movement, and then it flutters throughout the whole ensemble. I love how they move, which is strange. I never had a love for dance. It all looked like much of the same, but this was different, and I loved it.

• Like 4

The immediacy of the performance. The energy that they bring, the intricacy and the coordination; without a discernible (at least to me) beat, the coordination is amazing. I love how they draw Me in with a movement, and then it flutters throughout the whole ensemble. I love how they move, which is strange. I never had a love for dance. It all looked like much of the same, but this was different, and I loved it.

I'm glad that someone enjoyed it other than the judges.

Not many, thats for sure !!!..lol.....lol....6 of my friends opted to watch a few of IW finals then went to a bar.. I actually can't believe they gave up those expensive seats but they said ehhhhhh we saw it in prelims and semis...and it wasnt anything that great. hmmmmmm

that's the funny thing.....i've talked to some of them... maybe they didnt judge IW this week but have and they didn't like it at all....so then why do they reward it?....you guess

That's what I don't understand; why are they rewarding it and what are they saying to the other groups who actually have an equipment book consisting of spinning, tossing, and moving as a unit. I would love to know the number of people who were in Onyx that CAN NOT spin equipment at all or on a World Class level.

Edited by TKYR_FA1986

That's what I don't understand; why are they rewarding it and what are they saying to the other groups who actually have an equipment book that consisting of spinning, tossing, and moving as a unit. I would love to know the number of people who were in Onyx that CAN NOT spin equipment at all or on a World Class level.

I will tell you exactly what they are saying to the others " YOU CHOSE TO DO WHAT YOU DO AND EXPOSE YOURSELF SO DO IT EXACT OR NO SCORE " i know ..i know.....a good designer also hides thier weaknesses....now theres a thought..contemplate that.....lol :tongue:

• Like 1

Luckily, I don't care what others think. I like what I like and don't try to dissuade others from liking something different. I don't particularly care what any judge thinks. So thank you, Onyx! And the other shows too :)

• Like 4

Let it be said that I am NOT bashing the kids nor saying they are untalented. It is MORE than obvious that they are extremely talented. What I am saying is that different isn't always good nor is it necessarily an advancement of the activity. That is the fault of the design team not the members. I applaud any kid/young adult who get's out on that floor and does their thing to the best of their ability. I just do NOT like this show and don't care to ever see it again.

I am more impressed by how South Shore has progressed in the last year than I am by Onyx.

I may be incorrect, but I believe Michael Lentz actually designed both shows!

• Like 2

Hmmm... I missed WGI this year, but after reading this thread I am curious to see Onyx on DVD.

I actually think it sounds like something I might like.

I'm very happy they didn't just try to repeat their show from last year.

As for their talent level, I am sure they have a lot of people attend their auditions, so the talent level is there.

If someone can't spin, they were chosen specifically for their dance skills.

Time will tell how this show stacks up in 5 - 10 years; time will be the judge.

• Like 3

Since this forum originally asked what Onyx's show is about I'll address that. I don't know, but I personally think the show is about the way people attempt to define and confine art. Hence, the now infamous qoute "They will attempt to destroy anything that differs from their concepts." The show is about playing with and dismantling those predetermined concepts.

Personally, I really loved the show (along with Trumbull, Carmel, Alter Ego, Blackwatch, Corona, and Braddock LOVE YOU ALL). As for the earlier comments of "I'd like to know how many people in Onyx can actually perform on a world class level,?" I can answer that question, all of them. As some one pointed out earlier, they're dancing, every world class guard does it. Also, if you watch the show, who's actually spinning usually changes frequently due to the intricate drill book; so most of the members do in fact spin at some point. Going by what I saw on fan network and in person, I think it's clear that they have an incredibly challenging book. Just looking at their website it seems a member of the acclaimed dance company Pilobolus wrote their dance book, and Adam Sage wrote their flag book.

• Like 5