Onyx

Since this forum originally asked what Onyx's show is about I'll address that. I don't know, but I personally think the show is about the way people attempt to define and confine art. Hence, the now infamous qoute "They will attempt to destroy anything that differs from their concepts." The show is about playing with and dismantling those predetermined concepts.

Personally, I really loved the show (along with Trumbull, Carmel, Alter Ego, Blackwatch, Corona, and Braddock LOVE YOU ALL). As for the earlier comments of "I'd like to know how many people in Onyx can actually perform on a world class level,?" I can answer that question, all of them. As some one pointed out earlier, they're dancing, every world class guard does it. Also, if you watch the show, who's actually spinning usually changes frequently due to the intricate drill book; so most of the members do in fact spin at some point. Going by what I saw on fan network and in person, I think it's clear that they have an incredibly challenging book. Just looking at their website it seems a member of the acclaimed dance company Pilobolus wrote their dance book, and Adam Sage wrote their flag book.

names on staff doesnt translate to good all the time...ask the guards who had some of the same people who werent in finals

names on staff doesnt translate to good all the time...ask the guards who had some of the same people who werent in finals

I agree, they don't.

I thought Onyx's book was difficult from what I personally viewed (I was discussing the demand of Onyx's book, though I liked show all in all). Since a lot of people were discrediting Onyx's difficulty, I thought I would state the fact that the show was written by designers that people commonly say have some of the most demanding books, as an example Adam Sage's flag work. I was merely providing a frame of reference.(o:

• Like 1

Hmmm... I missed WGI this year, but after reading this thread I am curious to see Onyx on DVD.

I actually think it sounds like something I might like.

I'm very happy they didn't just try to repeat their show from last year.

As for their talent level, I am sure they have a lot of people attend their auditions, so the talent level is there.

If someone can't spin, they were chosen specifically for their dance skills.

Time will tell how this show stacks up in 5 - 10 years; time will be the judge.

Actually the show is VERY similar to last years show but with more people, more running around, less people actually spinning, less ripples and less work done in unison. Even the tempo less music and the uniforms are similar........ just sayin'

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that Onyx did not clap for anyone during awards?? I thought that was very rude and unsportmanlike. And when they got the silver medal they all looked completely unpleased. IT'S A SILVER MEDAL!!!! BE HAPPY!!! I was surprised by this, especially coming from last years world champion..

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice that Onyx did not clap for anyone during awards?? I thought that was very rude and unsportmanlike. And when they got the silver medal they all looked completely unpleased. IT'S A SILVER MEDAL!!!! BE HAPPY!!! I was surprised by this, especially coming from last years world champion..

i agree...

but have to say - it could be because they have been 'attacked' all year for their show. It feels like the majority is totally against them so that could be a reason. OR it simply could be that they don't clap.... i'm certainly not sure and certainly don't want to put words in their mouths. i'm just sayin... i would probably feel a little bitter too if i read all this about the show that i'm performing...

• Like 1

i agree...

but have to say - it could be because they have been 'attacked' all year for their show. It feels like the majority is totally against them so that could be a reason. OR it simply could be that they don't clap.... i'm certainly not sure and certainly don't want to put words in their mouths. i'm just sayin... i would probably feel a little bitter too if i read all this about the show that i'm performing...

I thought the same thing, but then I also thought that it could've been part of their 'art'....I noticed a few girls smiling as they received their medals, but the rest seemed to be pouting. I guess only they know whether it was part of their show, or whether they were really displeased.

• Like 1

i agree...

While this show was not my cup of tea, and I can see how the preformers might have felt about all the discussion. The rude display at retreat was just plain unbeliveable.

• Like 3

I noticed it, and I didn't find it surprising. It's like that saying "when a person tells a lie often enough, they start to believe it themselves," I think Onyx truly believes they are high art and were quite shocked when everyone didn't feel the same. It was a big "how dare you not recognize that what you have before you is a work of art" look. This is just my opinion, however.

• Like 2

I did not intend to "blame" the members of Onyx... I merely wanted to know why they didn't clap... be it their own choice or the staff telling them to not do it... WHY? I think it's rude. My opinion.

• Like 1