Recording DCI

Hey everyone. I'm looking for the best microphone out there that can record both brass and percussion. I'm looking at the Rode SVM Stereo Condenser Microphone, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I want. If anyone can help, it's greatly appreciated.

Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so sorry.

• Like 1

i recommend the one they don't catch you with

• Like 5

Hey everyone. I'm looking for the best microphone out there that can record both brass and percussion. I'm looking at the Rode SVM Stereo Condenser Microphone, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I want. If anyone can help, it's greatly appreciated.

Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so sorry.

If he doesn't pop in here on his own, you might PM Shadow_7 - he's recorded several of our performances and has a pretty nice setup, and probably has done quite a bit of research into what's out there.

i recommend the one they don't catch you with

I'm not planning on recording actual shows, just stuff in the lot.

If he doesn't pop in here on his own, you might PM Shadow_7 - he's recorded several of our performances and has a pretty nice setup, and probably has done quite a bit of research into what's out there.

Thanks, I'll give him a PM!

that one that was used to record the blue knights a few years back. not quite pocket-sized, but super quality

Thanks! Pocket size isn't necessary, so I'll look into that.

If you will be recording outdoors in the lot, I would suggest something with a really good wind screen and probably not a condenser, especially if it will be hand held. Condensers are very sensitive to the slightest breeze or bump. First mics I would reach for in that circumstance is a pair of EV RE50's. I've done a lot of outdoor location recording and this mic always comes through like a champ. It's an industry standard broadcast mic (omni directional) with excellent wind screening, low handling noise, and a very flat natural frequency response. Just set them a few feet apart and you will have a nice stereo image without a lot of fuss. It will also take rather high sound pressure levels so those close up rim shots and power chords won't frack the diaphragm.

Also, the Rode SVM is meant to be hooked up to a camcorder. What machine will you be using to record?

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex

If you will be recording outdoors in the lot, I would suggest something with a really good wind screen....

I agree with this one. It's incredibly frustrating to hear perfectly great music obscured by wind noise. I mix audio for a living rather than record so I can't give you a good mic recommendation but I can tell you that there is no plug-in in the world that will remove wind noise 100%. Don't go cheap either. Professional windscreens can run about $100.00 however you can get a decent one for about $40.00. They're worth every penny when you sit down to listen to your recordings for the first time and hear nothing but the music. Without a windscreen the best mic in the world will simply record the best wind sound in the world and nobody wants that.

Do you mean cardioids? They are more susceptible to wind, whereas wind is less of a problem with omnidirectional mics.

Cardioid refers to the pickup pattern of the mic, meaning it's directional, but has no bearing on wind noise. Omni means that it picks up sound from all directions. There are both cardioid and omni patterns available on all types of microphones.

Mics are either condenser or dynamic. The diaphragm of a condenser is a very thin membrane which makes it very responsive to the slightest movement of air. While this is often preferred in a controlled environment, the extreme sensitivity makes it almost useless in wind. The diaphragm of a dynamic mic has more mass and is attached to the magnetic element, making it less likely to be moved by wind alone, although a good windscreen is still essential. This is why most live vocal mics are dynamic, because of the singer's breath. Wind reaction is the same regardless of omni or cardioid pickup pattern.

• Like 1