2011 Reading Buccaneers Program Book Notes

The Reading Buccaneers are pleased to share the official program book notes of our 2011 production, "A Dancer's Dream."

We can't wait to perform this for fans this summer!

2011 READING BUCCANEERS PRESENT

A Dancer's Dream

Sit back and prepare for a memorable experience as the Reading Buccaneers Drum & Bugle Corps transports you to a grand dance hall teeming with rhythm, movement, excitement and entertainment with our 2011 production, "A Dancer's Dream."

Few art forms stir the soul like dance. Dance showcases body movement as a form of expression, social interaction, or spiritual invocation – a most powerful form of non-verbal communication that speaks to each of us differently. A "dream" has many connotations, but encapsulates what drum corps is all about: a creative vision and its development, the ambition for achievement, a fan's excitement when experiencing a great performance, the realization of goals, the joy and exhilaration of pursuing and attaining them, and the member's experience as part of an extended drum corps family.

Our 2011 production is a celebration of dance and movement. We bring four distinct styles of dance to life, each dance representing a discrete style of music, yet within the classical and symphonic idiom that has become a Buccaneers hallmark:

MODERN dance comes to life with The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for Orchestra) by contemporary American composer John Adams. The brass section sets the mood with innovative voicing and textures, complemented by a spirited percussion feature. The minimalist quality of the music will be punctuated by modern dance movements and the rhythmic variations of the foxtrot.

The DANZÓN is highly expressive, elegant, seductive and rhythmic and is a fusion of European and African rhythms and styles. We bring this dance to life with Danzón No. 2, by contemporary Mexican composer Arturo Marquez. Look for exciting and unique rhythms, accents and timbres as every section of the corps shines in this memorable piece.

BALLET is perhaps the grandest, most emotional and most enduring dance style. Peter Tchaikovsky ranks among the greatest of the great composers of ballet music, and the Buccaneers are proud to present selections from his masterpiece, Swan Lake. This dance will bring you everything you've come to expect from the Buccaneers – power, movement, volume, drama, excitement, and an unforgettable melody.

Finally, we will bring to life the high energy and festivity of the MAMBO with a return to the music of iconic American composer Leonard Bernstein, as we present "Mambo" from Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story." We'll present a fresh take on this enduring and popular work, drawing particular inspiration from Gustavo Dudamel conducting the incomparable Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela. The show comes to a close as the dancer's dream is realized, and we invite you to join us in celebration with a party you'll long remember.

Enjoy the show!

Thanks, Dan.

There are two great videos on YouTube that really showcase how exciting two of the tunes are - both of the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra conducted by the incomparable Gustavo Dudamel. They're the Danzon No. 2 and the Mambo - and you can find them by typing a simple search using Dudamel and the name of the tune. Great stuff!!!!!

Looks like another great show for you guys, looking forward to seeing it

The Reading Buccaneers are pleased to share the official program book notes of our 2011 production, "A Dancer's Dream."

We can't wait to perform this for fans this summer!

2011 READING BUCCANEERS PRESENT

A Dancer's Dream

Sit back and prepare for a memorable experience as the Reading Buccaneers Drum & Bugle Corps transports you to a grand dance hall teeming with rhythm, movement, excitement and entertainment with our 2011 production, "A Dancer's Dream."

I like the show title but I was looking forward to hearing Fran pronounce танец.

Edited by Mike McMullen

Thanks, Dan.

There are two great videos on YouTube that really showcase how exciting two of the tunes are - both of the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra conducted by the incomparable Gustavo Dudamel. They're the Danzon No. 2 and the Mambo - and you can find them by typing a simple search using Dudamel and the name of the tune. Great stuff!!!!!

Tom,

I checked out those YouTube videos for Danzon #2 and Mambo. These tunes should more than satisfy DCA's desire for more "audience communication" :-)

Can't wait to see it on the field in living color!

Donnie

I like the show title but I was looking forward to hearing Fran pronounce танец.

We told everyone that it was the Russian word for 'dance.' While this is certainly true, it has an alternate meaning. It's also Moscow street-slang for "don't you wish you had a shirt like this, comrade?"

So, Mike, it's entirely possible that you may hear Fran try to pronounce танец afterall. This will give him some much needed street cred. In Siberia.

Donnie,

Wait till you hear what the music designers did with both of these, and the rest of the show for that matter. No doubt, DCA fans are in store for a real treat!

Tom,

I checked out those YouTube videos for Danzon #2 and Mambo. These tunes should more than satisfy DCA's desire for more "audience communication" :-)

Can't wait to see it on the field in living color!

Donnie

Man what ever happened to just listing the songs and composers, by the time I read this at a show I missed half the corps performance. :tongue:

OK, I know half the music and looking forward to hearing all of it. Sounds like another well constructed show for da Buccs competing corps. Great timing as this is in between the two weekends I hear Buccs Alumni.