Welcome Back, Guards

That better not be true. If it is then the SCV Winter Guard violates the charter of the SCV organization which is to “support and benefit the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corp”. I don’t have a problem if a WG member can’t afford or is unable to make the time commitment to march SCV D&B, but to march BD or any other D&B corps is unacceptable.

Guy, it's 2011.

• Like 3

Guy, it's 2011.

WTF does the year have anything to do with it. The purpose of the SCV organization is to promote the SCV D&B Corps. Everything the organization does should be to help SCV D&B Corps win titles! WG, fine, as long as it helps make the SCV guard on the field the best it can be. WDL, again that’s great, as long as it helps bring home the Sanford trophy. Training and making the competition stronger is not acceptable! WG and WDL trophies don’t mean crap if SCV finishes out of the medals.

Believe it or not...there are MANY people who prefer the Winter activity to the summer activity, and prioritize it that way. So your reasoning is backwards for a large segment of the pageantry activity. In fact, since 1/2 to 2/3 of the drum corps is made up of Percussionists and Guard Members, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of members and instructors feel that way.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

Believe it or not...there are MANY people who prefer the Winter activity to the summer activity, and prioritize it that way. So your reasoning is backwards for a large segment of the pageantry activity. In fact, since 1/2 to 2/3 of the drum corps is made up of Percussionists and Guard Members, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of members and instructors feel that way.

That may be, but the charter for SCV’s parent organization states that the organization exists for the sole purpose of supporting the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. Auxiliary programs are fine as long as their ultimate mission is to make the SCV D&B Corps better. Providing training for SCV’s competition, if true, violates that charter.

That may be, but the charter for SCV’s parent organization states that the organization exists for the sole purpose of supporting the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. Auxiliary programs are fine as long as their ultimate mission is to make the SCV D&B Corps better. Providing training for SCV’s competition, if true, violates that charter.

...and that can be interpreted vaguely. If the winter programs become more successful or financially advantageous for the organization, it's a win for the organization as a whole.

That better not be true. If it is then the SCV Winter Guard violates the charter of the SCV organization which is to “support and benefit the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corp”. I don’t have a problem if a WG member can’t afford or is unable to make the time commitment to march SCV D&B, but to march BD or any other D&B corps is unacceptable.

WTF does the year have anything to do with it. The purpose of the SCV organization is to promote the SCV D&B Corps. Everything the organization does should be to help SCV D&B Corps win titles! WG, fine, as long as it helps make the SCV guard on the field the best it can be. WDL, again that’s great, as long as it helps bring home the Sanford trophy. Training and making the competition stronger is not acceptable! WG and WDL trophies don’t mean crap if SCV finishes out of the medals.

...really?

You know what, you're totally right. Keep on keepin' on. After all, the summer of '83 is just around the corner! :thumbup:

• Like 1

...really?

You know what, you're totally right. Keep on keepin' on. After all, the summer of '83 is just around the corner! :thumbup:

In the 70s & 80s SCV was a dominant force in DC. Finishing in the top three was the norm. Championships came every three or four years (average). When was the last time SCV stood alone on the podium? 89! The last championship year was over a decade ago! So far the savior from Illinois has a 5th and a 7th to his credit. As far as a WG or WDL being a cash cow, don’t make me laugh! Let me put it this way. How many of the past 5 champions have a WG or WDL?

• Like 1

In the 70s & 80s SCV was a dominant force in DC. Finishing in the top three was the norm. Championships came every three or four years (average). When was the last time SCV stood alone on the podium? 89! The last championship year was over a decade ago! So far the savior from Illinois has a 5th and a 7th to his credit. As far as a WG or WDL being a cash cow, don’t make me laugh! Let me put it this way. How many of the past 5 champions have a WG or WDL?

wow...

they are two separate organizations. when Phantom Regiment had a winterguard a few years ago there were many members from cavaliers, crown, and other corps as well. Crown guard had members from other corps. This is %100 normal, no big deal, a non issue, etc.

Again, your reasoning is based upon the assumption that these organizations prioritize the summer season over the winter. Things have shifted considerably in the past decade. Many people (myself included) now view the summer and fall seasons as a training ground for the winter. World class WGI drumlines are doing things that the summer programs never dreamed of doing. The level of playing and precision in these programs have become absurd. The show designs have begun to influence the summer programs considerably, and the cultures focus has shifted to the winter in a big way.

Unfortunately this kinda leaves the brass players out in the cold without a similar program that competes at that level. However at the end of the day most percussion designers and performers would rather focus on an activity where their caption is spotlighted, and most guard designers and members would rather focus on an activity where they are the sole focus. It seems as if SCV and other organizations have realized this, and are investing in what they consider the future.

Times and priorities change, and DCI is no longer at the top of the heap.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

I agree with the OP. I always liked it when guards had a more military style, but then was then and now is now. Today their job is to put the frosting on the cake, and it's pretty hard to do that when the cake hasn't been baked yet. What would WG memembers do at a January DC camp? Work on basics? Hell, they're already doing that in WG. It's much better for both them AND the corps if they're on the floor honing their skills in the meantime so they'll be ready when the bell rings.